Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, Im looking for some advice. Im hoping some of you can help me on this matter

Right then, I bought a Cavalier GSi today, Well I went halfs with DazCav on it actually, Daz is having the 16V engine, gearbox, ECU and loom, and Im keeping the rest of it, and I need to fit my Cavalier 8V engine into this GSi.

Could you fine people let me know how difficult/easy this is please.? Im under the impression that it should be a straight forward job really as I have all the required parts, etc from my 8V cavalier, ie ECU engine Loom etc. If you know of anything I should know regarding this transplant that could cause problems, please let me know.

A Few questions I have, are...

1. Is this job straight forward.?

2. Will the ABS still work with my 8V fitted in the GSi.?

3. How difficult willl it be to swop the ECU's and engine loom over.?

4. What linkages will be different(if any) Radiator hoses/Power steering etc.?

5. Will my exhaust from my SRi saloon fit the GSi with my 8V fitted.? (IRS maybe a problem :confused

Well, I think thats all my questions for now, I'll probably come up with some more when work starts.

If you are all wondering why am I doing this, well, its because the shell on the GSi is alot better than the shell on my SRi, although the arches need replacing on the GSi, I don't mind doing that as I was going to do it on the SRi anyway.

Any help/advice on this engine transpant would be very, very useful.

Thanks in advance,

Micky

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
its all straight forward stuff mate engine loom and abs and power steering etc will all just go together.

engine loom will plug straight in.

you shouldnt meet any probs.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sulli said:
No help here, but I have to ask - why bother?
Because its a better shell, and saves me time and money transfering a perfect(NEW) interior and looms over to my Cav SRi Shell.

VXLGSI > Thanks for that, I thought so, just thought I'd ask for a second opinion.

Cheers,

Micky

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I dont see why not, but id check the ris to make sure if its ok.

personally id still keep the sri shell, bigger boot, for bigger install, lol

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would of loved to keep the SRi shell too mate, but it did have a lite rear shunt a few months ago, and needed a new rear valance fitted. i was going fit one, but this GSi shell is so mint, and yes the underneath is also mint, solid. The GSi had one owner from new, FVSH, and been very well looked after, it has many new parts fitted by vox, inc 2 x front seats and leather sterringwheel(were stolen in the past), also near rear end(bushes, boot, valance, Light clusters, and bumper).

The above reasons steer me in the direction that Im going - Hence not doing the SRi shell.

I will however have many parts forsale soon(GSi/SRRI) i will keep you lot posted.

Micky

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sulli said:
If it was so good, why take the engine out?
The plan was to go up and look at this gsi, and just have it for the engine (Daz), and me the rest of the car to put in my SRi, but when we got there, I came to the conclusion to do what Im doing now, as it make sense,

An greement between me and Daz was made before we knew about the quality/condition of this gsi, therefore we both kept to this agreement in anycase.

Im happy to put my rebuilt 8V in this car. It will be quicker than tranfering everything over to my SRi, then scrapping a better shell than my SRI.

Micky

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
What did you pay for it then?
i can't see the point in having a Gsi, with a poorer engine, and I would have just had the whole car - but it's down to you - hope the conversion goes well and works out for you.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I told you what I paid you would fall through then floor mate.

It cost the same price as what Vauxhall charge for 3 x GSi skirts end caps.;)

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Then it's a crime to remove the engine - the bottom will fall out of it's value once thats done!

Depending on reg, that is worth between £1k and £2k - if the condition is as you say. With a Cav Sri 8v engine it's worth £500 - no offence.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think it's a bit of a strange idea - sorry:confused:

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats your opinion mate, your intitled to it;) and Im sure others will agree with you.

Im doing this because I want to Sulli. I don't have any plans on selling it anyway. Also Its something a little different imo.

I take it you have'nt seen my 8V then.? Its nothing special, apart from it being rebuilt nearly 2 years ago in germany by OPEL, also the F16 is a little different too.

Thanks for your opinion mate. :beer:

Micky:beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts