Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps, can anyone tell me if any damage can be caused to the radiator when the engine boils up?

Also, what are some reasons for overheating other than the obvious (no water).

My block cracked due to overheating and I’ve had my car back and my gauge is showing 94 degrees when driving along, when I stop at lights etc. it then goes up to 98 degrees before the fan kicks in and brings it back down to 94. How accurate are the temp gauges on the dash?

BTW my engine is a X20XE.

All input appreciated.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
If its any consilation, i have 1.6 16V and is constantly at 94, and goes up to 98 when fan cuts in, its had regular coolant changes.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Reasons for overheating? Millions!

The usual is sludged up water ways etc.

The rad is also a favourite. They sludge up and their efficiency drops right off. Another prob with a rad is blocked fins. Get yourself a hose and flush through the rad from the engine side to the front of the car, also straighten any bent fins.

if you can be bothered remove the rad completely and do a proper job on it. If you have the patience and the rad is still sound you can take the end tanks off and clean the tubes out properly. I find a wooden dowel is great for this.

Go round all the choses and squeeze them, if they crunch then they are full of crap. Go round them all till the crunching stops then flush the system out thoroughly.

Also dash gauges are a rough guide not the gospel!

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx fellas.............I've just put a genuine vaux stat in it, it seems to be running at the same temp as yours stereo rob. This might be normal, does anybody know. I'm putting a recon rad in tomorrow, do you think it is worth it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put brand new rad on today, brought the temp down to about 92-3 to start with but when i took it on the m-way went to 94 and stuck there, must be right!! Rad was on warranty so i've not lost anything. cheers

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
Humm..

Think you have a 2 speed fan on them.

Do you have a white ceramic resistor block on the back of the fan ? (or on front panel)

Does your fan switch have 3 connectors ?

Slim chance but maybe only fast speed is working ? thus the fan isn't cutting in soon enough.

Short out the 3 wires on the fan switch connector and learn what fast speed is. etc

brown & brown/yellow connected should be slow
brown & brown/white (or all) should be fast.

see if that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts