Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righty ho then. Since i decided i want a 1.6 engine i have a couple of questions. I decided that to get any real power outta the beasty, have gotta go the carb route. Now do i trust someone like PMC to gasflow, port etc my head and whack in a camshaft, or try some where else? Also where is the best place to go for a carb? (webber, dellerto etc). Somewhere like Demon tweeks or order direct from the manufacturers? Or would SBD or QED be able to help me? Have got a fair bit of info from the NovaLoad website, so theoretically know what i'm doing.

FAO Gary- Did you do your head or was it somewhere local?

Help me please!! :D
Ta.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I fitted twin 40mm webbers to my 1.6 gte engine, i fittd them myself and then had them set up by a local garage. The difference in power is phenominal, i also had race cam etc. From a standing start i could beat most cars to 60-70 including cosworths, calibra turbos, even a porsche 911 was suprised when he floored it and realised he had a little nova stuck up his arse........sorry i dont have much technical info about the job but it is well worth it.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Can you be more specific about what you want John ?? When you say webber carb, so you mean twin barrell 45mm bodies, or a webber replacement for the standard carb. A standard replacement webber 32/34 dmtl is 200 quid brand new, i bought one for my cav 1.6, if you go twin barrell carbs you are looking at 150-200 quid for the inlet manifold, then 200+ each for twin 40 or 45 carbs. Replacement one you are looking at a few bhp and increased response, the twin barrell carbs you are looking at an easy 15-20 bhp straight off

For head i would recomend Blydenstein

Blydenstein Engineering 01763 272 866

A big valve polished ported and flowed head will see you immense gains for around 500+ quid. gains are around 15-20bhp. SBD can do carb setups but mainly deal with their jenvey throttle body and MBE computer setup.

Cam i would say shrick, i think Kent and the like are just reprofiled standard cams, so dont really give any more lift, just longer duration (valve opening time). High lift cam kit for 8v is around 220 quid again and will see about 10bhp

All this lot together with a good exhaust and manifold and you will see not shy of 130bhp, or about 115bhp if you go with ordinary replacement carb.

Tot it all up, 50bhp increase for about 1500 quid. You could go out and just buy a gte 8v for that money or a 16v come to that, but tuning your engine will be much more fun, and of course a high revving light 1.6 will be better handling.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry should of said twin 40's as i understand, from speaking to chap at demon tweeks, will be more than adequate with a fast road cam. Unless i want serious power these should be okay. Oh the engine has only done 52k miles and is apparently mint, so will have to wait and see how true that is. Is being delivered tomorrow.
If it's easier to understand i want something like the way John Knowles Nova is set up.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine came this morning and is the later 16SV one. Now im not sure but i think i may have a couple of probs when eventually coming to fit it. from reading the haynes manual there are varying differences from the 1.3 currently fitted, coding plug etc..
if any one knows the in's and out's of this engine i would be grateful for a bit of help. On friday i will have a go at removing the cylinder head ready for porting, polishing etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.