Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Astra Club Diesel Registered Jan 2005. The engine electronics control indicator (car with spanner through it) has been coming on when driving (usually only once I have driven above 70mph) and disappears once engine is turned off. This has been going on for about 3 years. I have spent about 400 pounds having various things replaced with the assumpion that this indicator meant there was water in the fuel because it first happened after filling up on the motorway and seems to be worse after fuelling up. There was a bit of a lull for a while until recently although I dont often drive on anything other than A roads so could have always been there - just didnt drive fast enough. The exhaust fumes icon also had started coming on but has just been into Vauxhall dealer again and that has stopped. Fuel filter has just been replaced again. Getting really fed up now because when control indicator comes on I lose power and cant use cruise control. I have previously had the EGR valve replace and Air con regulator (believe the diagronis at first was something to do with the air intake. HELP PLEASE - CAR HAS BEEN ON DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE LOADS OF TIMES although they dont dare charge me for it any more.

[/SIZE]Calibri]

·
Premium Member
28,725 Posts
What engine is it?

Looks like you have copied and pasted this from another forum, where else have you asked for advice?

Have Vauxhall not told you what error codes are stored when they take a look?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the love of God I didnt know that copying and pasting from my own word doc or any other would cause offence!!! Always do that if writing anything that requires some thought as it often needs reposting/writing (wish I had for this as laptop has just dont a restart) the formatting is totally from your own website. Anyway I just wanted some more info to be armed with before I go back to the garage tomorrow when I will ask them about error codes which will mean nothing to me but which might make you happier than my cutting and pasting. Im beginning to think that I should ask them to change the lamner sensor to see if that helps. If the cat is going is that going to be really expensive?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Had this a few times unsure weather its your problem but i would say its turbo related.
I have seen a number of differant things which have caused the fault but all around the turbo control going out of range.
What have you spent your money on doing?

Have you changed the turbo? as i would guess you engine a 1.7 and code is Z17DTH, i have seen people put the Z17DTL turbo on, runs and drives perfect until you go above 70mph and it go's into limp mode.

can you give us some more infomation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply BeArDy. Yes its a 1700 CD DTI. Have had it since its been about 8 months old. Not aware of any turbo changes. Have had it on the diagnostic again today:-

error code P2279 which the local vauxhall garage tell me is an intake air leak and have suggested changing the EGR valve AGAIN. Alternative suggestion was to let them have a couple of hours stripping things down and having a look at it. I cant just keep changing the same things over and over and clearing the code. Apparently if it was the lamner or the cat it would show as a specific code.

What would you do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well to continue the story..... after clearing the error code, the engine control indicator light is no longer coming on even at 70mph but the exhaust fumes indicator is back on. Im getting dizzy (not from exhaust fumes but from going round and round in circles and not actually curing anything. Does this ring any bells to anyone?

·
Registered
494 Posts
i had the same problem on one of my old vans with same engine first the egr valve went and would make it go flat on the motorway but then it would cleer it self and get up and go again. changed the egr valve and it still done the same about a month after mine started to do it though my edu on the back of the engine packed up fitted a new one and never had a problem with it afterwards. ever feel powerless trying to pull out of junctions ect?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi ccm. Sorry whats an EDU? Only lose power and any acceleration when the engine control indicator comes on. Car runs absolutely fine until disabled. At least with the exhaust fumes control light on, the engine control indicator doesnt also come on and therefore doesnt switch to safe mode but worried that Im missing something important. After a bit of research but no knowledge, Im now wondering whether its the Ported Vacuum Switch or whether the garage have got something kinked or dislodged when they have been fiddling with it oops repairing it.
One article I have read states that the EGR valve is replaced far too frequently due to lack of system knowledge and that the EGR valve is the least likely part to fail in the system.

·
Registered
544 Posts
my mate has a zafia 02 plate i think doing the exact same thing. he been to the garage on diagnostics bla bla bla, anyway i said to him just try a new crank sensor. car drives fine now, the spanner light stayed on for bowt a week then gone heard nothing since so id say try a new crank sensor pal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts