Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im really starting to get sick and tired of the car, i've started to get so many problems with it.

where do i start

when i go to put the foglights on, the foglights come on but the symbol thats supposed to come up on screen doesnt appear (however, this is the least of my worries, i havent got a clue why i put it first!)

when the cars in first gear and im on say a hill pulling off, the car vibrates horribly (its not cause its stalling, honestly). it just vibrates really badly,

the car when driving is all over the road, as soon as it touches a slight bump on the road, the steering wheel will move from side to side. the steering wheel seems to have a life of its own, it just starts moving left or right by itself. i have to keep both hands firmly on it most of the time so it goes where i want it to. i've been told this could be because of a bent arm, is this what it sounds like to others? as ive had the tracking checked and its spot on.

when turning left, say into a sidestreet, i can often hear a horrible sort of grinding noise (pretty scary)

the brakes have gone squeaky as hell

when changing gears, when i take my foot off the clutch it makes this noise, like a psst sort of sound (sounds like somethings being stretched) really weird.

i dont even like driving the car anymore with all these problems. all this from a car thats less then 2 years old. (its an astra sxi by the way)

·
Banned
16,413 Posts
No warrenty left on it then?
Vibrating when pulling away sounds like worn clutch, what mileage has it done?
Sounds like front brakes need a good looking at, could need new pads, shield could be touching the disc.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
the grinding noise and steering problems is ur arm, or the tie-rod bush check to see if the bolt is tighten up if not then, the arm will move on the thread on the bush and steering will be all over the place, and cause the griding noise, this happend to ma old cav , exact same problems u were saying

hmmm just seen u said u got it checked and is ok, must be bent arm then

lol

·
Registered
930 Posts
it will still be under warranty

the lower arm won't get bent on it's own. have you hit a kerb/pothole at all?

car vibrating sounds like worn clutch but i doubt it on a car less that 2 years old unless it's done silly mileage.

brakes squeeking could be rears, quite common on astra g's if you have rear discs

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
ive had the road following problem with 3 different cars, could be bent arm, balljoints, knackered susp (springs or shocks), incorrect camber, is horrible to drive with tho specially at speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry about not providing enough information firsthand. i think the following should answer a lot of peoples questions

basically, i was involved in a front-end collision accident, where the right hand side front wheel had took a hit and had gone in on itself, basically it collapsed in and was sitting at an angle inwards to the arch.

the car went into get fixed at a local backstreet garage (i cannot tell you how much i regret this), but supposedly he fixed it all up. and i then got the car back. everything was ok apart from a steering problem. when i went round corners the steering would not come back round by itself. after much advice from people (some on this board) i decided there was a problem with the steering rack. i purchased a rack from ebay which came from a low mileaged astra and gave the car back in to the same garage to get a steering rack put on.

now the problems have been since i got the car back after that. the guy was going on about how it was a hard job and he had to take a lot of things off to put the rack on. now the first weird thing i noticed as soon as i got in the car was when i started it up. the noise the car makes starting up usually sounds like its coming from the engine, now it sounded like it was coming from underneath the car, like around the bottom where you rest your feet (how weird is that?)

the original steering problem (the wheel not coming back round) was fixed but all the other problems have followed. the major one being the fact that the car is all over the road. the car is under warantee but i doubt they will look at it due to it being in an accident
i was worried that the clutch might have gone, but the car has only just done slightly under 20k

and to INCENTIVE, about what you mentioned, i didnt have the car checked for that but i did have the tracking checked.

and to think the car was running so perfectly before the accident :eek:

·
Registered
930 Posts
personally as the the car is so new, i would get a vx dealer to look at it. you're right, if any of the problems are related to the accident damage then warranty will not cover it but for peace of mind i would get vx to look at it

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds to me like the back street garage hasnt put it back together properly, it may need to go on a jig to straghten chassis/arms etc out.

could be dangerous id have it looked at by someone with a good reputation behind them. Or as dave says vauxhalls your best bet more expensive if they fix it tho.

·
Registered
930 Posts
maniac_27 said:
could be dangerous id have it looked at by someone with a good reputation behind them. Or as dave says vauxhalls your best bet more expensive if they fix it tho.
maybe but what price for safety?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I fully agree safety should always come first but there are independent companies out there that do do it properly, its just a shame about the people who dont, not only are they letting the industry down they are endangering peoples lives. (and breaking the law) If you know of someone that does know what theyre doing you will get a proffesional job at cheaper rate, but if not main dealerships are the best bet. (although i have read articles about even main dealers work being a lot less than adequate!)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
i lost faith in my local vauxhall dealer when i took a company car in.
the car was a 3 year old astra td which had lost power they looked at it couldnt find a fault and said (well it is 3 years old it could be any thing) and that is all they could tell me :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts