Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a golf mk3 and noticed loads of white/orange scum on the bottom of the oil cap. there is no sign of this on the dip stick and there seems to be a leak from under the rocker cover.

could this be head gasket or the rocker cover gasket that has caused this?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Could be totally wrong but I dont think there is anyway water can get into the oil through the rocker gasket so would think it is head gasket.

IIRC it maybe HG if,

The coolant smells of exhaust gasses. You can actually get the coolant tested for exhaust gasses at garages.

The coolant system is pressurised (squeeze the coolant hoses after the car has been run to see if they are hard)

Loss of coolant

There is mayo on the underside of the oil cap. Perhaps the orange in your case is from rust in the water galleries.

HTH,

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
If it its oil/water mix it could be head gasket,oil cooler or a cracked head or block. The later 2 rarely happen. It could also be remnants of an old repair or if the car isnt used as a shoppiong trolley it tends to build up as the engine never gets thoroughly warmed up enough to burn off/evaporate any condesation. Is the car over heating? Is there an oil/water loss? Any excess smoke out the arse end? If not i would do a gas test on the coolant system(that'll point towards hg failure) and if that checks ok an oil an filter change and go from there,if it reappears chances are you have a prob,possibly the oil cooler,there quite common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts