Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MIGClub Member
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ecotec Idle Problems

Here are 5 things to check if you are having idling problems with an Ecotec engine.

1. Connecting plug to air-mass meter - suspecting that the crimped connections were not perfect I sweated solder into each crimp - couldn't figure out how to dismantled the plug so I cut out a slice (junior hacksaw) to reveal the crimping and then stuck it back on with Araldite afterwards.

2. Air-idle valve - remove it from the side face of the throttle body - careful not to damage the gasket. The valve separates into 2 halves (crosshead screws)- don't loose the small rubber o-ring which seals the join. On the motor half there is a small spring loaded piston retained by a fixed brass bush - if you gently push this in and out with a stout wire whilst spraying with ether-based carb cleaner, it is possible to wash out the motor body to prevent sticking. Repeat with WD40 to lubricate. The valve half can be cleaned similarly by spraying whilst working the plunger in and out against the spring. Use grease on the gasket when refitting.

3. Small-bore emission hose from cam-cover to manifold stub - I found that both the hose itself and the manifold stub were blocked solid. Replace the hose - use worm-drive clips in place of the spring type to make sure of a complete seal at both ends.

4. Manifold stub - the bore is about the same diameter as coat-hanger wire and must be completely clear - but don't enlarge it. Sharpen a coat-hanger wire bent at 90 degrees to gain access - the bent bit needs to be about 30mm long to reach right through the bore. Have a good poke from outside and inside the throttle barrel to remove all traces of deposit. Careful not to drop it down the barrel. Access to refit the hose to the stub is tight - it's easier if you temporarily unbolt the throttle cable bracket and move it all to one side.

5. Give the element of the air-mass meter a squirt with carb cleaner through the grill, before re-connecting the trunking, to remove any oily deposits left by the misdirected hot crankcase fumes. This cost virtually nothing to do, but a couple of hours work.

Original text from the CavWeb messages board, posted by Howard.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts