Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STUPID QUESTION BUT HERE WE GO

Allways though that dumpvalves dont go off when car sitting still and only let of pressure once in gear and moving

But

Looking at my m8's pulser gti-r e night and his goes off when its sitting still jus reving it up on the spot ?????

Both of us has baily twin piston Dv

·
Administrator
29,659 Posts
it will go off any time you hit boost and it has something to dump

therefore revving it whilst not moving and hitting boost parameters will set it off

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Small turbo will spool with no load, big turbo wont. Could just get mine to tish when you reved it hard with no load. Lightened flywheel and ported head so maybe that makes a difference?

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
my mini would dump very quietly when standing. if engine was under load, lets say 5000 rpm in 2nd, and you let go it dumped very loudly

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Mine doesnt dump that hard on the spot but on the road its ok. Not over loud and its not a full on tttttttiiissssshh, just a very quick tish when i back off or change gear.
Its nice because it sounds quite violent. I have a forge twin piston on mine.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I'm still running the standard LET dump valve which you can hear a treat through the HKS filter if you load it up, only a tssshhhh though but loud enough.

Whats interesting though is, if i disconnected the standard dv, then fitted a re circ one elsewhere (nr the inlet) would I get the quality sound of wastegate chatter like a Fiesta RS or would it just be silent then?

I'm not really too fussed cos I like it how it is, but it would be cool for the nova if it sounded a little more mean coming up the road (without having to cain it) anyone who has been in a fiesta RS should know the sounds i'm on about!

Anyone got any ideas? obviously fitting a T34 and some Autronic would solve this but I'm not looking on spending a couple of grand just so it sounds like a fiesta!! although the extra bhp would go down a treat! lmao

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
jonlem said:
Whats interesting though is, if i disconnected the standard dv, then fitted a re circ one elsewhere (nr the inlet) would I get the quality sound of wastegate chatter like a Fiesta RS or would it just be silent then?

I'm not really too fussed cos I like it how it is, but it would be cool for the nova if it sounded a little more mean coming up the road (without having to cain it) anyone who has been in a fiesta RS should know the sounds i'm on about!
I had a S2 RST i fitted a Race Actuator and a Hybrid Turbo. it also had a Bailey Dv. After fitting the Actuator and Hybrid i got the Awsome wastegate chatter.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the [email protected] said:
Oh yeh and My RST was Difficult to Dump when Standing before the Hybrid but much easier after.

My Old Calibra Turbo Dumped easy and loud when Revving as Does My Cav Turbo.
what you running eg engine spec,dv filter,hybrid etc ???

(Good excuse to uprate engine parts :D "had to to make it dump on the spot m8")

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Oh and i do get wastegate chatter to only quiet but when i dont really let it come on boost you do get a llittel do do do do do do. Sounds lovely, and because mine overfuels quite well as well i have been know to spit a little flame, but after a long run if i time it right, ie just let the turbo start to spool quite hard then quickly change bang massive bang. Great stuff.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
BodsterCavturbo said:
what you running eg engine spec,dv filter,hybrid etc ???

(Good excuse to uprate engine parts :D "had to to make it dump on the spot m8")
My Calibra was.
Standard with K&N Pannel Filter, Scorpion System and Cat Replacement. and a Bailey DV.
war Much louder when i cut my huge hole in the bonnet.

My Cav. As far as I am aware it is Just a Standard LET with a K&N Filter and Magnex SS System. Std Turbo and Actuator and a Bailey DV, Which i am thinking of changing for a SARD BOV.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I think a few of you are missing my point, Your not going to get much wastegate chatter when you have DV cos the sound of the dump valve working will overpower the sound of the chatter, I presume that cos the DV is part of the kkk turbo that if blanked off "technically" you would hear loads of wastegate chatter, but obviously you couldn't run the car without a DV so my idea was to fit a re-circ bailey (or any other) so that the DV in the kkk turbo wouldn't dump any more thus you would only here chatter through the air filter and not tssssshhhhhhh, anyone getting me? I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but I'd rather have chatter than tssshhhh cos i hate dump valves.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Isn't the chatter the sound of the air getting "chopped" by the blades as it tries to escape through the inlet?

I have tried running my car with the std. recirc valve disconnected and got the chatter (this was done through error, not on purpose), valve reconnected and all was back to normal.

If this is the case then the wastegate chatter has got nothing to do with the wastgate at all and will probably be doing a shed load of harm to the turbo as the escaping air is essentially stalling the impeller. Does this mean that chatter on a KKK-16 is a really bad idea?

I may be waaaaay off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
mine also dumps unwanted boost when stationary,changing the subject slightly, i cant understand why people spend ****loads of money to get a turbo conversion just for the 'vroooom ptshhh' sound

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.