Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

I bought a Corsa LS R Reg back in September 04. it is my first car and it is soon due for service. I have bought the Haynes Servcie book but still have not received it yet. I was just wondering, is it worth if I try to do as much servicing by myself as I can and will it reduce the cost of servicing it in a garage? How much can I do by myself? :confused:

It has always been serviced at Vauxhall and has all the stamps for it, I just want to keep it that way for in case I sell it. :p

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
how many miles has it done? minor services ie plugs, filters, oil are eaiest done yourself, but get it stamped for the bigger ones, ie cam belt etc

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Service it yourself, its so much cheaper and probably do a better job. Dont really need a haynes when it comes to servicing, its all pretty much straight forward, all you need to do is locate the items like air filter box, oil filter, spark plugs. If yours is a LS it will probably hold the 8v engine which are real easy to work on. With regards to parts, contact www.autovaux.co.uk or get chummy with someone who has a trade discount at vaux, get servicing parts mucho cheap. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its done 68 800 miles... the camblet was replaced before i drove it away and it was at 58 800 miles. I told the trader I was willing to pay 200 pounds more than the asking price if he serviced it, replaced the cambelt, re MOTd it and pay the tax for 6 months. I paid 2 grands for it in total, which was the Parkers' quote for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well for someone who knows a lot about cars, i guess one does not need the Haynes. But this is my first car ever; I just wanna be able to tell whats going on and try figure it out for myself. I like to think of myself as an independent woman (nothing to do with feminism) as I dont like asking for help for anything.

i am sure Haynes will be a good start of reading for me! Also, I dream of re-doing an original Mini as my second car in the future...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also guys another question I have in mind: when i bought the car, the exhaust pipe was clean. Now the tip is full of crap, rusted, but not mangled still. Does it mean one of my filters is not doing its job?

Also, I have to put about 250ml of engine oil every month or so. I also noticed that sometimes a yellow gew forms on the cap and in the checking gauge pipe. is this normal?

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
yea the exhausts just get more and more rotten as time goes on...provided its not blowing its still legal and ok although it might not be to your liking

dont know about the yellow gel but it does not sound like a mechanical problem, 250ml a month is ok due to leaky sumps and gasketts on the vaux engines in general

are you really mad?, you seem ok :confused:

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
madfrenchgirl said:
Also, I have to put about 250ml of engine oil every month or so. I also noticed that sometimes a yellow gew forms on the cap and in the checking gauge pipe. is this normal?
Its condensation, you need to do longer journeys to stop this happening

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
madfrenchgirl said:
Also guys another question I have in mind: when i bought the car, the exhaust pipe was clean. Now the tip is full of crap, rusted, but not mangled still. Does it mean one of my filters is not doing its job?

Yellow 'mayo' type stuff forming under the filler cap is a result of water mixing with oil in the engine. It can be for a number of reasons, however the main one is normally a sign of head gasket problems.

There are other people here more qualified than me who could say what the other possible causes are... it's not necessarily anything to get alarmed about :)

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
madfrenchgirl said:

yellow gew can be due to very short journeys, my old 3.0 omega had it but was cleared on any long run of 50 miles or more! vaux engines are designed to use oil in various ways 1 litre per thousand miles iirc (if i remember correctly) is not unusual. must agree with T.F.S here, you dont sound mad to me either :confused: so why the name?

good that ur keeping an eye on things though, not many people would. welcome to mig btw (by the way)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
assassin said:
Its condensation, you need to do longer journeys to stop this happening
Can't say I was aware of this fault, good to know though.

I would get the head gasket tested. A local garage should have the kit. It's like a clear plastic bulb that they stick in ya cooling tank and the chemicals react and change colour if it's gone.

Hope that helps, servicing is easy, especially the minor service.

Dave

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I came to England my BF to be and his friends could not get my name rght so they called me MFG. And it stayed with me. I am pretty mad, as I used to go to headbanging, moshpit clubs in Portsmouth and jumpin up and down. Also used to roar like a lion as a greeting to them.

here s for the story.

Concerning the yellow gew, yes I do short journeys with little Sophie (name of my car) as work is only 3 miles away. We do do longer journeys o/w i would not have reached the 10 000 miles in such a short time. (we often go to Cornwall, and go for roadtrips for holidays). I take care of the car and wash it, polish it, check water/oil/tyres once a month. Another thing I got worried about was the damp! if it had been raining hard my car would misfire, and even stall after leaving it unrunning for a week at xmas. As this was pretty unsafe, I sprayed some silicon on the sparkling plugs seals and it seemed ok for 2 months, then I had to do it again. Do you think I should change the seals rather than keep on spraying them?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Might just need a new set of ignition leads. I just bought some nice ones from Express Autofactors recommended on here. Search the forum for Kerr Nelson leads :)

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
KillBill said:
Yellow 'mayo' type stuff forming under the filler cap is a result of water mixing with oil in the engine. It can be for a number of reasons, however the main one is normally a sign of head gasket problems.

There are other people here more qualified than me who could say what the other possible causes are... it's not necessarily anything to get alarmed about :)

unlikely to be headgasket. it seems to be quite common on te small 8v engines to get a small amount of mayo in the oil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts