Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers vauxweb. Have new rotor arm fitted, but will try new cap when i get payed :). Also It has gone through two thermostats in two months (Both stuck open, so running cool) can this be connected?. And more to the point why do they keep failing?? I would rate you, but it won't let me ??

·
Registered
339 Posts
It could well be connected, if I was you I would do the first problem first. then see if the other problem goes away.

As for the leads falling off, were they tight fitting when you fitted them?

Well thanks for trying to rate me, maybe Mike has stopped people rating me or sumthing.

I hope I have fixed your problem for you, let me know if not. And I will try again.

[ 17-07-2001: Message edited by: Vauxweb ]

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes more than likely the source of your problems.

BOSCH cap was about £45 + vat trade if i remember right £65 + vat retail

I had to but one for my cally a few months back.

·
Registered
339 Posts
In my cally I am currently using Bosch Leads, rotor and cap and bosch super 4 spark plugs, and I haven't experienced any trouble with them. So I would say go for the bosch leads.

But dont buy them from Halfords, try a trade place. why pay retail price when you could get them cheaper.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why my Astra SRi (1.8SE 8v) keeps eating ignition leads? It seems to be producing solid dark gunk in the dizzy end of the leads. Had to buy a s**t megalead to get me home the other day. Also any leads I buy seem to be very loose fitting on the dizzy cap and will fall off very easily. Is all this just down to a crap dizzy cap?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sounds to me like your KV's are to high; thus it is burning your HT leads away as the sparking voltage is to high.
Fit a new cap (make sure you get a geniue BOSCH cap, as the cheap ones can't handle the Sparking voltage, so I am told by my BOSCH Supplier), rotor and leads; also check your spark plug gaps are correct.
Make sure that your leads are tight fitting into the cap, adjust the brass bit of the leads to make it a good fit if need be.

(Typical kv voltage is 10,000 volts but 0 amps thats why it just gives us a jolt and doesn't kill us.)

If this is helpful to you PLEASE rate me. :rolleyes:

[ 17-07-2001: Message edited by: Vauxweb ]

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
SteveG; Dont rate him, he isnt a real mechanic just some looney. Before you know it he'll want to meet you then the REAL trouble starts!!:D :D :D
Nah, seriously, I am the Bosch supplier Vauxweb spoke of and have come across this problem several times now. We always try to get people to have the Bosch cap on these engines cause they just end up bringing the other make back after a few days anyway.

P.S. If you cant rate him on here maybe you can on HIS website?
www.vauxweb.co.uk aint it Marky?? ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just found out that there are two sets of caps and leads available for this car on this year. One has pins, and the other not. Turns out someone had the wrong leads fitted for the cap (or vice versa?!?) Problems now sorted though ta! Managed to get the proper bosch cap for £15.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.