Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of articles regarding manual boost controllers.

They seem to do exactly what the electronic ones like HKS/APEX-i do, but cost a lot less.

I have looked into several available on the market, namely the Dawes Device, Turbo XS and GFB.

They all seem to do the same thing, which is stopping the actuator from bleeding air.

If installed correctly, it would allow the engine to hold boost better, spin up faster and allow boost levels to manually set at a higher level.

Performance gain's I have seen seem to indicate you can get an easy 20bhp for a correct installation.

I would definetly be interested in trying one, if I only new where to install it ?

I guess it could be installed between the boost controller solenoid and the actuator.

Anybody have any idea's on this ....?

Regds,

Mantamagic

·
Registered
915 Posts
That would be a bleed valve then?? would it??

Pipe it in off the actuator pipe and twidle the knob rather than adjusting the actuator

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only want it to hold 10psi boost instead of dropping back to 8.

It's the crappy actuator that does it, with a manual boost controller it will do just that.

Engines only go bang if you up the boost to 17psi without increasing the fuel pressure or mapping.

Regds,

Mantamagic

·
Registered
999 Posts
But if your ecu thinks your only running 8psi but really running 10 then the ecu will only fuel for 8psi, maybe enough to melt a piston especially if you injectors are dirty/charge temps are high etc. Not good.

Also actuators dont bleed air, they open the wastegate at a set psi which is determined by the spring type inside the actuator.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I am not removing the factory boost control solenoid, it will still be able to detect boost level and fuel accordingly.

I'm sure everyone running a boost controller(manual or electronic) considers it a bodge.

There are Imprezza's that have been running a dawes device for several years without issues. It is not, as most people commonly call it, a bleed valve. I believe it holds pressure to a level, not release it like a bleed valve does.

Regds,

Mantamagic

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
It goes into the pipe from the manifold to the wastegate, you its FAR better than a bleed valve and in many ways superior to an electronic boost controller costing hundreds of pounds as the mechanical ones react more quickly so you are less likely to get boost spikes, they outperform bleed valves too because they dont continually leak boost and hence cause more lag like a bleed valve does.

Chip

·
Registered
999 Posts
I would have thought if the ecu see's the "real" boost level it would go odd because it wants to run at 8psi not 10psi:confused:

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
depends on your ecu and how far the map extends vs how much boost you are running, i try to avoid the moronic one on the cally, so i dont know much about it, but cossies/scoobies/evos etc all work well with this device as the ecus have a map that extends far enough in the first place

·
Registered
999 Posts
The 888 is the Z20let iirc which has very strict emission controls, because of this I doubt there is any room for movement on the standard map.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The std mapping allows for up to 0.9 bar of boost which is greater than the 12psi I want.

Is that correct, that it should be placed between the manifold and the actuator ? I was planning on installing it in the pipe from the boost control solenoid to the actuator.

There are actually three places it could be installed

1. Between turbo and boost control solenoid.
2. Between boost control solenoid and actuator
3. T-piece in pipe between boost control solenoid and actuator, t-piece in pipe from boost control solenoid and boost gauge/inlet manifold. Pipe with boost controller running from t-piece connections.

As for Z20LET mapping being crap, it puts out about 217bhp in std fettle. It's also quite high in emissions even if it does meet Euro 4.

Any idea's guys on correct installation ?

Rob Fairbrother's trying to push me in the direction of an electronic controller off ebay.

Regds,

Mantamagic

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
Stick with the manual one, they work really well, the elecontric ones actually cause more problems (ie boost spikes) than they solve on this sort of application.

Chip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts