Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to my initial thread http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=195910
I've just put the first colourcoat on, which is Ceramic Blue (Pearlescent).
It's currently doing the 15 minutes "drying" before the next colourcoat should be applied, but its looking lovely as it is.

There are no noticeable light areas where primer is showing through, and not a single run, blemish, dust spec or anything.

Do I really need to stick a second coat on or can I just clearcoat it tomorrow and will the finish be as good without the 2nd colourcoat?

Its perfect weather for spraying, hot, no wind etc so I could probably do a 2nd coat as good as the first, but I don't want to risk it if its not necessary.

Any advice appreciated.
ta
Chris

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, decided to stick on a 2nd coat anyway.

Went on fine, just one part looks a little orangepeely which it didn't before.

Then again, its only a camcover and I'm sure after a few dropped spanners/sockets it'll look cr*p again.

Just gotta wait to put on the clearcoats tomorrow....

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
just sand it with very fine lightly before clearcoat to remove the orange peel

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
assassin said:
just sand it with very fine lightly before clearcoat to remove the orange peel
Yea I know thats what you should do, but no way I'm risking that. This looks 90% mint and I wasn't really trying to do a perfect job, didn't even clean the crud out from around the bolt holes.

You may recognise the camcover too, or at least would have, before the sanding/painting :)

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
You realise that any slight imperfections will be flattened off once the clearcoat is applied

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird.

One side (the side with the oil filler) was really nice and glossy and totally smooth, although it already had clearcoat on it.

The side nearest the front unfortunately, whilst it looked perfect, had the finish of 800 grit paper, very odd.

Both were prepped the same and both sprayed at the same time. All I can think is that when spraying the rear last, some overspray caught the front and dried without actually congealing into a nice coat.

I've just given the front side another coat and its looking OK now, although we'll see after its dried.

Just need to hope tomorrow is as hot so I can get the clearcoats on.

Wonder if the front edge of the bonnet would be as easy....

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
Laquer should be applied before the basecoat fully dries.

You should not sand the base coat before laquering.

Orange peely is the finish you get on a factory finish.

You can flat and polish the laquer after a week, to get the mirror finish.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark T said:
Laquer should be applied before the basecoat fully dries.
Hm.. Thats not what the tin says. I'll happily do it if you are 100% sure!

Mark T said:
You should not sand the base coat before laquering.
Wouldn't be risking that, even if you told me to!

Mark T said:
You can flat and polish the laquer after a week, to get the mirror finish.
Its a cam cover, are people really that mad :D

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike007 said:
Laquer is usually applied once the base coat has flashed off - so probably 10-15 minutes after painting. Maybe up to 30-45 mins. I should really be done around that time though.

Mike
OK, so I've screwed the pooch on that one then.

I'll do it tomorrow afternoon if its nice and hot again.

At least my extra touched up bit is also nice and glossy too now. Doesn't need the laquer but it'll add protection from all the spanners/rubbing etc.

Should be nice, just have to get the gasket to seal so I don't fill my plug recesses with oil this time.

Got some instant gasket coming, be here Wednesday/Thursday, so I'll smear that over the gasket too which will help.

Then at last I can check out these new plugs with the upped fuel pressure to see if its still flat at higher rpm.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hmm, are you spraying from an aerosol? I guess you are. I'm thinking of doing this myself, although I might use a proper gun, etc. The rocker cover can get quite hot can't it, so i'm just wondering if the paint would be suitable for those kind of temperatures?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am using aerosols. Just mucking about really.

I guess I'll soon see if the paints OK or not....

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice guys, looking good!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Smuggler said:
Get some pics up mate as i'm interested to see what it comes out like, hehe.
Hm... None in the post above?

Or you want the ones when its back on the car :)

Still looks amazingly shiny and wet, which I'm sure it can't be, its been at least 90mins since it was sprayed.

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
I sprayed mine with normal car paint.

It's cracked and bubbled in several places now.

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts
I'm gonna have to give that a shot!

Yours is looking great. Are you doing cambelt cover to match?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chavtastic said:
Yours is looking great. Are you doing cambelt cover to match?
It still does look great, hasn't dulled at all whilst drying and very very chuffed with the finish.

Cambelt cover is a slight arse to get off, not much room at all down that side and my spare cambelt cover is the early type do I'd have to do it to the "real" one which isn't a problem, but not ideal as it means I have to do dirty work twice, not just swap the 2 over :(

I really want to get a late LET cam belt cover, get a hole machined for the inlet cam vernier and then I'll spray that one up.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Smuggler said:
Looking very very nice mate. Good job!
Where abouts in Oxfordshire are you, and what you driving ?

PS. welcome :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts