Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between the 2? a guy i know has the z18 with FBW throttle and has done the bottom end. hes seen a few x18xe engines with cable throttle body. is it just a matter of swappin the inlet or even just doin a full bottom end swap? never worked on one before so any opinions are welcomed

cheers

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
emptied mate. bttt for this to

rodgerq

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
the z 18 uses the internal crank sensor while the x is external, and the z has coated piston skirts while the x doesn’t, the only other difference could be the oil filter, some are canister, some are spin on, which cant be readily swapped about as the canister has no relief valve for a spin on in the block, so you’ll be able to swap them about really, but just the couple of niggles to sort

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Z has FBW throttle body and throttle pedal. No EGR, using 2 lambda sensors instead.
Both suffer from unreliable ecus.
There was another thread along the lines of using the x18xe1 bottom end in place of the z18xe recently

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The X18XE is a smaller bore X20XEV, so it wont be possible to swap as the stroke is different, the Z18 and X18XE1 have a longer stroke and smaller bore to improve torque.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Z has FBW throttle body and throttle pedal. No EGR, using 2 lambda sensors instead.
Both suffer from unreliable ecus.
There was another thread along the lines of using the x18xe1 bottom end in place of the z18xe recently
z18xe's do have egr's. and having 2 lambda sensors have nothing to do with egr valves. they monitor oxygen content

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Lambda sensor monitor oxygen content ?
Getaway.
:rolleyes:
Though my wording could have been better.
And yes, some z18's do have an egr, depending on the car theyre used in.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
the z 18s do have a coating on the piston skirts, if the pistons are old it may well be mostly worn off, but it is there originally

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, been a while since this thread was active. I would like to drop the x18xe motor in my Corsa B, what do i need in total to complete this conversion.?
Thanks in advance for your assistance

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey guys, been a while since this thread was active. I would like to drop the x18xe motor in my Corsa B, what do i need in total to complete this conversion.?
Thanks in advance for your assistance
x18xe is a big block engine like the c20xe, so yes you need the complete conversion.
If you have a x18xe1, which is a small block engine like the x16xe, it could be a direct swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello everyone newb here, I've got a 2014 Chevy sonic and im trying to figure out if I've got a z18 or an x18, any help is really appreciated

·
Registered
493 Posts
hello everyone newb here, I've got a 2014 Chevy sonic and im trying to figure out if I've got a z18 or an x18, any help is really appreciated
2014 is a very late year, for that engine.
i think they stopped fitting them in UK cars, a few years before that.
chevrolets may have kept production rolling tho.

either way, the x18 uses a manual wire cable, on the throttle body, and the z18, is fully electronic, with just a wiring connector attached to the thtottle body

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok so my next question is can X18xe cams fit in my Z18xe, if all the differences are outside of the cylinder head id like to think they would

1 - 20 of 21 Posts