Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As opposed to running straight derv in your diesel car is there a benefit to running either veg oil (this biodiesel thing) or just central heating oil with a suitable lubricant for the diesel pump? Obviously taxation is not included here but what are the pros and cons of doing this?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
streight veg oil isnt wise and used stuff is worse due to tri faccy acids and other nasties that form

biodiesel is a chemical process which u apply to veg oil (used or new) to provide safe diesel fuel (it actually produces methyl ester which is a powerful solvent but has similar properties to diesel oil)

only downside is that both biod and veg oil dont like low temps (like subzero) and require the addition of a fuel pre-heating system in some cases

prolly run ok in summer but in winter you'd really need to run 50/50 normal diesel unless u got a preheating system setup

do some googling for biodiesel production so u can see whats involved

if its some shagger diesel u dont give a crap about then just use central heating oil or Veg oil and hope it doesnt break

but if its a newer car or a keeper then read up on it very carefully so u dont end up with a ****ed pump or engine

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
i have heard that veg oil with a mix of white spirit (?%) helps keep it running well and not clog the fuel filter. after all, the price of fuel atm i think its a bloomin good option, w.t.f is going on here? are there any demo's coming up cos i think fuel prices are a friggin joke! :mad:

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
My sister used to un her old clio on central heating oil.
despite me repeatedly telling her to run it 50:50 with real diesel, or at least put a wee bit of used engine oil in it (supposed to lubricate things) she always just ran it neat. car ran ok I suppose. It was a harder to start and after a few thousand miles started smoking. The smoking got worse and worse till people would stop her in the belief her car was on fire lmao

·
Registered
33 Posts
my old boss ran his n reg rover 620 sdi on used cooking oil and central heating oil for a year or two, i think he started mixing proper diesel with v/oil eventually. as it doesnt run quite as well as road diesel, only just noticeable performance wise, depends what ratio the mix is. I think i remember him havin to change the fuel filter more than once tho.

I agree about petrol prices, question is would a rally make a difference :confused:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I ran a diesel Mondeo on about 30% veg oil and 70% diesel for a few weeks as someone gave me the oil free. Didn't notice any difference except people kept stopping me and asking for a portion of chips.

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
If you use just Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) then the glycerin in the oil will gum up your engine, block your injectors and stick the piston rings into their grooves, oil consumption will increase until the engine either gets rebuilt or dies. SVO is a bad idea, although it will work.

Bio-Diesel is either Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) or SVO that has been mixed with a catalyst that can be made from commonly available chemicals (caustic soda and wood-alcohol [methanol])to remove glycerin, and then washed with water to remove soaps and reduce the pH level to neutral. The catalyst costs about 30p for enough treat a litre of oil if you buy the chemicals from retail outlets in small quantities.

Advanced home brewing techniques recover the methanol, as it is the most expensive ingredient.

Using new oil you can effectively make fuel for about 20p a litre if you buy the oil in bulk. Then pay 29p a litre in duty to the excise-man, who then takes another 17.5% as VAT if sold commercialy and you can see why it has not exactly taken off as a commercial product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts