Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sold an item worth around £200 to someone.

I packaged it sufficiently i.e. in a jiffy bag then in a box then packed in with newspaper shreddings.

The buyer reckons its been dropped by royal mail and has a dint in the case (its a dvd drive).

I feel that it would have to be a very hard drop (i.e. thrown and landed).

How do I stand legally for a refund as I feel I'm being done here by the buyer. I.e. he's changed his mind and has dropped it in order to get his money back.

:(

cheers,
steven

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm insured for upto £150.

But legally, how do I stand?

Do I have to give him a refund out of my own pocket or claim via royal mail then cough up?

I'm not tight and can afford to refund but I feel foul play is in the air.

steven

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
Personally I'd ask for the goods and packaging back to see if it was him or the PO who damaged it. You should be able to work out if it was him doing it deliberately or if it got damaged in the post by examining the packaging.

You'd need it anyway to claim off the post office so do this first.

Just my opinion though

Dom

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe he's bought it in error its a RAM drive and won't read DVD's as such.

I'm in a punch someone mood
:mad:

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
if u want i can pm u the number and u can enquire with the post office i called em up today as i sent someone on this board goods to the value of £30 and he said u never got them, this was payment for somethin he was supposed to send me.

he goes he never got them and now he isnt on the board, A55-hole

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
astramojo said:
I believe he's bought it in error its a RAM drive and won't read DVD's as such.

I'm in a punch someone mood
:mad:
what did you advertise it as, DVD Player or RAM player, is it a pc drive or the ones that connect to your tv ?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
out of interest, what does it play as i would of thought it played dvd`s just by the name of it.:confused:

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Had this happen to me so here's the deal -

• Go to the post office and ask for a claim form then fill it out and send it off
  • Contact the person you sold it to and ask if he still has ALL the packaging and the damaged product as Royal Mail will send someone out to see it.
  • If he does then cool, if not then it can get tricky and I would be tempted to say that nothing can be done as you may end up with nowt if RM has their way.

·
Registered
26,533 Posts
Thats not true though as he hasnt techincally 'seen it' before purchasing :rolleyes:

Does the thing work, or not? If the damage is only aesthetic then give a small refund - maybe £15 and call it quits?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He reckons its restarting his system :rolleyes: I reckon the posty must have drop-kicked it through his letterbox.

Theres supposely a dint in the facia.

He's being rather demanding so I know what I'll be doing.

Slow and steady my friend slow and steady.

;)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Buying second hand has very little protection. You always hear trading standards type bods saying 'Buyer Beware'.

As long as you havn't misrepresented the item for sale then the buyer has no recourse at all. If the item is genuinely damaged then he needs to send it back to you - you can prove whether its damaged or not and then act accordingly.

If its knackered then it won't reset his PC (sounds like a config issue), a knackered lens/servo etc doesn't affect the units ability to talk to the PC, chipset errors etc would normally prevent the drive from being detected and the PC would boot as normal, minus the 'new' drive. Sounds to me like he's realised you can't play burned movies in your set top DVD player....doh! lmao lmao lmao

HTH?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats exactly how I see it aswell mate, But what if he's dropped it accidenally on purpose to prove it?

steven

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
You could give him the Royal Mail details and let him claim, otherwise just tell him that it was mint when you sent it.

Like I said though, if he sends it you with/without dint and it works on your machine then send it him back and have done with it.

Personally I wouldn't have even entertained it this far if I thought a fast one was being pulled. Lets face it - you know you sent it in working order...either Postman Pat or he is to blame....;) :D ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts