Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Ball joints are a replace the whole thing job, but are not expensive or hard to do.

On the cv boot front you can get split boot kits from halfords that dont require the removal of the cv's to fit. They are fiddly to fit but you can get good results. Failing that you'll need the shaft out and a pair of circlip pliers.

:)

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
dunno mate I've only ever used the split kits from halfords, with mixed results.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I've used the split CV kit before, they only seem to last a while before spltting somehwer else, so I won't use them again.

I did a guide on repalcing outer CV boot for my Nova, but most of it will be applicable for most VX cars, read my guide at

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/maintenance/cv_boot/cv_boot.htm

But a hyanes book for your car/engine will explin and show you what you want. I bought all my parts from www.autovaux.co.uk

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Id recommend spending the £10 and getting the genuine boots which will probably last longer plus they have the proper metal straps.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I used the easy fit cv boots before and theyve never laster more than a few months.
I only use genuine ones now and they still look like new after many months.
As said above, if you have a decent set of pointy nose pliers its easy to take out the shaft.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I cheated at that part!
I think you need special pliers.
I couldnt get them tightened with ordinary ones so I just used two cable ties instead on each end of the boot.
Does the job!

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
Partco do Unipart Boots for £4 a piece and they come with self locking metal ties.

For once I am going to disagree with WeeKenny, I would not use split-boots on your car, let alone mine.

The CV boots on a 10 year old car are probably the originals. Split-boots last about 12 months at best.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
dont dont dont use those nasty bodge repair kits to cover up the existing hole.

Its a bit like using filler on wooden windows to hide the flaking wood and when u tap it with a screwdriver it falls apart!

Dont take risks with CVs cos if it seizes up due to lack of grease the bearings will lock and ur car will skid (worst case scenario)

usually the bearings will just wear out and ull lose all drive (not nice)

if ur stuck im on msn to talk u through it, its easier than u think!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
right well i was doing this on sunday so no where was open bar halfords, and im lazy and need too do this quick as i need the car soon....so i gota split CV gator,

sorrry :(
when it dies i'll put a proper one on when i have more time :D

anyways, need more help now, lol
hereeeeee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts