Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite, just wondering if theres much difference in 1/4 mile times between Crail & Pod ? Anyone ran at both ?
What d'you reckon the better venue is ?

Rich

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Slightly off topic here but I was chatting to a friend who drags regularly in the same class as the Calibra V8. He knows the owner quite well (the calibra took a whooping two weeks ago apparently in his class), and he said the guys that go over to America have been posting faster times and they put it down to salt retention in the air over here. America sits higher up the globe and the air is better there apparently. The tracks are identical in length to the ones here. They were saying their terminal speeds in the states are between 9-15mph faster!!! Just some food for thought. My friends name is Pete and he drags a 7.3 litre V8. The body is made up of three or four different cars. He does ultimate street car challenge and the like regularly. I forget his surname now but am seeing him tonight so will get details. Someone on here may know him???

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
lmao chalk and cheese.

Pod- no passangers, very safety concious, proper in and out roads etc, has glue on the track.

Crail- have as many passangers as you want, hang out the windows etc, walk across the track at will, the in road consists of lots of pot holes and is basically gravel. Its inbetween several fields and if you dont brake at the end you go into the sea. Apparently its downhill aswell :S

However Crail is alot cheaper, and you get loadsa runs.

RDS and Russ have run both I belive, I know Russ got extremely close times, proving that there is no difference between either in the timing.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
In the past I have seen lots of times for Crail that were definately too good to be true but I sem to remember posting it a while back and someone said that they have changed their timing gear (or done something to it) in the last couple of years making it more accurate. Don't know if this is true or not.

Mike

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
yeah they have changed their timing gear. i have only been on crail and to be honest i thought the start line was very slippy indeed. and i aint the only one that has commented on the fact that it seems more slippy that a normal road surface. in 1st even with light throttle my nova LET was lighting up, even off boost and anothet guy i know whos mate has a rover can spin in 1st and 2nd off the line at crail whereas on a normal road he gets traction half way through first and no spin in second!!

rodgerq

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I would say both timing set-ups are extremely close now.

Grip wise, I have only managed a sideway launch at Crail (;) Scott), but never at Pod, no matter how hard I tried :D

·
Registered
8,813 Posts
they run the opposite direction at crail now, than what they did a few years ago
so hopefully that means it USED to be downhill, otherwise they are muppets for changing the direction

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
cavgsi said:
they run the opposite direction at crail now, than what they did a few years ago
so hopefully that means it USED to be downhill, otherwise they are muppets for changing the direction
So by that its uphill now?

I wasnt at it when the ran the other direction?

Has it changed 90 degrees or 180?

·
Registered
8,813 Posts
180 degrees i think
i THINK it was the same strip of tarmac
used to start nearer the sea-end and towards where the start is just now
i never run my car when it was like that so cant remember 100%

·
Registered
8,813 Posts
just watched a video of santa pod...it has 1 clear advantage for spectators...the hooj time displays
i have seen time boards at crail before but theyre miniscule compared to the ones at Santa Pod...and theyre red too so can hardly make out the numbers

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
aye and they are on a scroll aswell so its easy to miss pasrts of the info

rodgerq

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
crail isnt downhill at all anymore, in fact if anything originally it was slightly up hil then leveleed off making it look like the end was downhill.

people who have ran at crail and at the pod will get pretty much the same times, so my opinion is crail is better, cheaper, and more of a laugh than a serious ' if i mess this start up i can only get another 3 runs in for my 100 quid today' affair

·
Registered
807 Posts
CRD Supra, 9.95 @ 148 mph on slicks at Santa Pod

10.6 @ 142 at Crail 2 weeks prior, on slicks. (Pod could be much more suited to slicks than Crails ageing runway though)

Pod is stickier, Crail has its on and off days, it can be quite grippy, but iof you get any salt or crap on it blowing off the fields its really slippy, depends on the weather running up to an event. I managed a 2.4 60ft in a 1380 kg fwd Volvo, no diff, no TC, and a torque peak of 260 lb/ft, so it cant be that slippy.

I'd liek to try Pod, but the times are meant to be pretty identical, and Crails closer, cheaper, more fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.