Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Courtenay 16v turbo conversions???

645 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  J73 AWU 
#1 ·
What do people think of the turbo conversions Courtenay do to gte 16v lumps? I know its a better bet to just drop in the cally turbo lump but i can get my hands on an astra turbo right cheap.

Its a jreg mk2 with redtop, courtenay did the full conversion on it bout 3 years ago and supposedly did some head and cam work too, approx 220-230bhp.

Was gonna buy the motor and swap the lumps then sell it back oon with my 16v lump in it?

So any gen on these engines?

Cheers in advance;) , Jamie.

#3 ·
i dont think the std turbo's are un-reliable at all.

if it was done properly, then it isnt going to be a problem, if it was done by regal then it is going to be a problem.

a mate had a converted xe into a turbo, didnt have any problems with it except a leaking inlet gasket. the engine had been converted 2 years before this though.

remember, an xe is the same as a turbo engine, same crank, same rods, same block, same head etc, just the loom and ecu and piston heads + couple of sensors. so it isnt a big thing.

if its cheap enough id get it. courtenay do do good work, charge a lot, but the quality is there.

just my 2p

#4 ·
is this the yellow one with 17' merc wheels on..
i looked at a courtenay turbo conversion gsi but problem is they do not use anything to measure boost like the motronic 2.8 ecu..
they just use a bleed valve to control boost..
no amal valve etc
bad idea i think.
bleed valve=not for me
but thats only my opinion others my disagree...

#5 ·
No not a yellow one, its looking like i can get it right cheap, its a mates car and the owber before him was a friend too so i know both owners for the last 6years or so which is good and the conversion was done while the first friend had it.

Yeah im not a fan of bleed valves either, id prolly fit an electronic actuator instead with in car electronic boost control or summink along those lines, overboost here we come!

Think he paid courtenay bout 3.5k for the conversion without cams and headwork!!! 4 or 5 years ago!!!

#7 ·
well technically the blocks are interchangable, just need the oil feed and return.

there is no significant difference at all between any of the bottom end apart from the piston heads. ive sat an xe and an let side by side and stripped both of em at the same time and i havent come across anything special in the let bottom end at all

#9 ·
and what exacty is it this webbing does?

to be picky yeah fine, but in all honesty only the piston heads are the major differences excet the oil outlet and inlet for the turbo, of which the front one can easily be done by any machine shop, so as far as im concerned it isnt in any way going to be any less reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.