Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 588 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening all.

For a while I have been thinking about a proper project. After being at Crail and seeing how much fun can be had from a cheap XE corsa I decided I wanted in on the action.

The Brief Plan

Some form of boggo spec Corsa, standard to look at, some form of XE, get a gearbox with 5 gears, better suspension, 256mm brakes, lack of interior and..... err....... that's about it. Well apart from not spending a lot of money!

So Far

I spotted this Corsa on ebay local to me. Gen 38k miles, plenty of service history, good condition and most importantly cheap lmao

After going to see it and everything being in order I handed over the cash and made my way home. Feck me I forgot how slow a 1.2 was. I even went to try for 5th gear in the way home not realising when I looked at the car that it was only a 4 speed box :doh: lmao

Enough typing.......

I then fitted some Mk3 Astra sport 15" steel wheels I had lying around as one of the 13" wheels was a bit dented and another had just legal tread.

new sunvisor clips liberated from a vectra in the scrappy

Now I have 2 sets of 15" Astra sport alloys (8 spokes), a set of Phase 2 MK3 Astra GSi 15" twinspokes and some other wheels that I have forgotten about in the garage so I may change my mind on the wheels.

As I'm using the car as a daily runner until after my wedding and because I broke the bit that goes into the back of the stereo, I have also changed the short Ariel cable. I then fitted a glove box I bought from the scrappy as crappy merit spec means you get absolutely nothing.

Today I took advantage of the fine weather and removed the rear seats, rear trim and some other gubbins. Tomorrow I'm going to do some more and get some pics.

Parts waiting better weather and more time to fit

Supersport springs and shocks - cheers to Rick Draper
Opel 200tS steering wheel - cheers to Drizz
256mm brake set up - from Gra11 *need to collect*
Pollen filter - bought from a motor factors
GM oil and filter
6k H4 Hi/Lo HID's - currently on my Mk3 Astra Sport

Future plans

*Source and fit either a C20XE or C/X16XE. Prior to that I may just pick up a 5 speed box and fit it while using the car as a daily driver.

*rear ARB and look at getting other suspension components uprated or renewed

*Fit the Astra Sport style seats I found in the scrappy

*Polish the bugger back to red and maybe fit new standard badges

*Post 97 bumpers either plain black to stick with the merit look or some half colour coded ones

All suggestions, comments and piss taking welcome.

Cheers
Melv

*ps. Remember, more pics coming tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: Melv's C18XE Corsa Merit Project

I know Keith. I really want to crack on but at the moment all monies need to go towards my wedding which is fine by me as I'm in no hurry and there is loads of little free things I can do at the moment. :)

Cheers Ben. I can't complain Just need to keep it that way. The bonnet is starting to do the usual Corsa thing with flaking paint under the front lip so I will have to attack that soon.

Right...... as promised some more pics.

Glovebox from the scrappy

The back of the car (might have went a bit far with the foot fetish attempt lmao )

Flame red paint :rolleyes:

Today involved refurbishing some 14" steels I have as the Astra sport steels will need tidying eventually too.

So I prepped the shed

Wire brushed the steels and took a wire wheel to them too then washed them and let them dry.

started with the insides of them. Stonechip stuff then used up a couple of cans of random paint

then onto the fronts of them. Don't worry they will be black not purple / blue

That's it. Washed my astra in between coats so didn't do much else with the Corsa.

Next on the list. Removing sound deadening. Yay! :(

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Finally some more progress.

After Ivan had finished putting Ellie's MGZR back together......... yes........ head gasket lmao it was the corsa's turn for some lovin' I bought supersprint springs and shocks off Rick Draper aaagggeeesss ago so we got those fitted.

The spings and shocks and the MIG foot fetish

Getting started (under the gazebo as it was pissing it down)

The front arch. Some rubbing and painting to be done

The finished product. Hoping it will settle further

Also bought a genuine Opel 200iS steering wheel from Drizz ages ago so thought we would get that fitted too

I should have some 256mm discs and relevant calipers coming soon so that will be next on the list. Fingers crossed they fit under the 14's so I can continue the sleeper look when I get round to changing the engine.

Big thanks to Ivan and his battery gun.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

good stuff Gary. Just going to do little bits and pieces and they will soon add up. Quick question - What box, shafts and hubs are you using on your Nova?

I polished the roof yesterday just with some autoglym super resin stuff (the white bottle with the red bit) just to see how it would come up. Very surprised that it is now looking better (not brilliant) and fairly red. Think I will have to use some sort of cutting compound (any suggestions that are not friggin Tcut?? )

Brakes have just arrived. Big thanks to Candyman. Top seller. Have a look at his for sale thread here

More updates soon(ish)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts

Im using an F13 CR gerabox (3.94 final drive) Which is what came fited to the nova sri. And std sri shafts and hubs. Im guessing yours is an F10 4 speed wide ratio box.

As for the paint, id borrow a machine polisher, and get some Farecla G3 (cutting compound) G10 (fine cutting compound, removes the swirl marks etc) Then hand poilsh with the autoglym, and wax.

Its always the worst cars that come up best, as they probably havent been polished in years, so paint is full thickness :D

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yeah, 4 gears of raw 1.2 8v power lmao I'm just thinking of my options for when I XE it. F20 is obvious also the F16CR is a popular choice but I am getting a F15 from Rick @ crail. Will have to see what comes up at the time when I am looking for an engine and box. Plenty time yet lol

G3 and G10 would be available from hellfrauds or my local motorfactors I presume. Will have to keep an eye out for that. I have a machine polisher but not one of the professional £100 ones. I just use it for applying polish and then buff it off by hand (ooh er!!)

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts

get a move on ginger nuts! even emailed you today and got a STANDARD out of office........... god your lacking these days :(

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

got them fitted. It certainly stops well now. Need to get a better pedal feel though.

will have to get a better pic of the clearance between the 14's and these. There aint much lmao

All I need to do now is give them a quick lick of either hammerite silver or black. Red aint very sleeper

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts

not painted before fitting:rolleyes: lol,

Nice one, pedal feel is a grey area, general opinion is you will never get it perfect due to the piston being a biger surface area, hence same volume of fluid exerts less presure. so feels a bit spongey, but as long as its bled well, will be just the job:nod:

1 - 20 of 588 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.