Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have recently found my engine to be getting louder and louder with a kind of droning noise.
I have recently done a oil change with slightly thicker oil as i thought the oil may of been too thin before. I am concerned it may have something to do with the cam belt or tentioners as these have never been replaced from record!

Could the cambelt, tentioners make a droning noise like expalined?

Thanks in advance,

andy

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
If the cambelt and tensioners haven't been changed i'd be VERY VERY concerned as this is the most weakest point on the X16XE engine!! First steps, replace them straight away then go from there.

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
To determine where the noise is coming from I'd advise removing the auxiliary drive belt and then starting the car. If the noise remains then the problem is cambelt / idlers / tensioner / water pump related. If the noise goes away the problem is either the alternator or the PAS pump.

As others have mentioned I'd advise getting the cambelt and idlers replaced ASAP. These were a known weak spot on these engines.

Some info in a recent post of mine may be of some help. See here

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
Andrewmatthes said:
any idea how much the belt, idlers and tentioners would cost have replaced by vauxhall??
A simple cambelt change from Vaux is approx £75. Approx £30 for the belt and about 1 hours labour. To also get the idlers and tensioner done I'd guess about £130 - £150 total.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just got in from the rain, man its been a fun evening...

I just learned the joy of automatic/self tentioners for the aux belt and what a killer they are to return back after they spring to full extent!!

Anyway, appart from currently being soaked, i have ruled out the alturnator and PAS. Looks like its the bluddy cam or it friends as mentioned above.

Called vauxhall today, they want bluddy £250, WHAT CRAP..
Does anyone think this is reasonable? This is parts and labour for belt, tentioners and rollers.

thx

andy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are there any tests that can be performed on the water pump? What do you guys think of the vauxhall proice quoted of £250 aswell.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It's been said that renewing the rest of the timing gear can put pressure on an old water pump which then gives up, causes the belt to snap and then you're looking at 500+ quid to have your head/pistons/whatever else broke fixed (well, less if you get a 2nd hand head, but you get the idea).

Best to replace the lot at once. If you buy the bits yourself, you're looking at (assuming pre 2000 Corsa):

Cambelt kit (93180219): £93 (£62.50 trade club)
Water pump: £62.50 (£29.30 trade club)

So, assuming you can't get them via trade club, that's £155.55. You're paying about 100quid for fitting and I assume their £250 is +VAT.

The choice, is yours! :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bit the bullet and took it to vauxhall..

Turned out to be the water pump in the end! Total cost for Cam belt kit, Aux belt and Water pump.....

£305 What a shocker!

On my bluddy birthday as well!
Never mind, the car is as quite as ever and I am Extaticly happy (as anyone is when they realise there cam belt is less likely to snap!) so that cant be a bad thing, appart from the fact I have a few less beer tokens tonight ;)

Anyway, off to get hammered! thanks for your help

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
£305 down :( but on the up side you can now hopefully forget about all cam belts, idlers and water pumps for about 30,000 miles now. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.