Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can any one help with diagnosing this issue.
I have no speedo or Fuel Guage. Also ABS light is on. (see Video with car running)
and 'F' on dash. The Engine management light is not on, nor is there any fault code that can be read via obd2 Elm 327.

This is the car stationary but engine running, I am changing the revs with accelerator

Also what is the fault code for this pedal test, does not seem to give me a valid code.

This is the pedal test with engine management light flashing the code.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK took the case to a fiends garage that has better code reader than the usb elm327.
This read all faults on the can bus. The faults that is shows are:

U0415 Invalid Data Received From ABS Ctrl Mod
U0121 Lost Comm with ABS (ABS) Ctrl ModU0121
U0415 Invalid Data Received From ABS Ctrl Mod
P0318 Rough Road Sens A Signal Circ
P0501 Vehicle Speed Sens Perf

these all relate to ABS and fault not being able to reads ABS CAN bus

After doing a few more searches on failures of the ABS I found a recall for the corsa based on water ingress on ABS.
So going to call Vauxhall tomorrow to see if they have a record and also where I stand with issue this if this is a known fault.

All though the recall says corsa c my VIN does match those listed. Mine is an early 2007 Model and D model.
I will Keep you all posted.

Recall: No. 6 of 16
Recall Ref: R/2007/171
Exact Model: CORSA C COMBO C & TIGRA B
Description: ABS MAY FAIL
VIN: 43000023 to 73027322
Build Date: 01 Jan 2003 to 21 Nov 2007
Numbers: 345634
Defect: It is possible for moisture to enter the ABS connector/control unit. This can cause the ABS system not to function correctly and in the worst case overheating which may lead to fire.
Action: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected to check the ABS control unit, fit a protective cover to the control unit and seal the earth point with wax.
Launch Date: 17 December 2007

Manufacturer contact details:
Vauxhall Motors Ltd
Griffin House, Osbourne Road, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 3YT
(01582) 427 200

Here is the link to the recall:
Car Recalls - The AA

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so rang VX local dealer. Car has had all recalls done including abs fault. Said I could take it in fir an initial inspection but if the tech2 had to be used it would be £79.99 . What a joke.
So this weekend is going to be stripping down abs plug and socket to see if I can find anything.

There seems to be lots of corsa d and other corsa abs units flying about on ebay and other sites. Is this unit a common failure point?.

Any pointers for checking the abs unit would be appreciated. Any idea of cost of new unit?

Will post the results shortly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that I know of. Unless anyone on this forum, got Tech 2 close to Cleethorpes / Grimsby?
Also some more news. This morning I had a look myself at the ABS Module. Found corrosion in the plug and socket. Tried to clean up the pins, unfortunately it looks like Pin 3 is completely corrodes. As I touched it with the screwdriver end it moved as if the bottom was nearly through. (Battery was disconnected during this process).

So Pin 3 is the corroded pin, traced this back in wiring diagrams to fuse 53. 12V feed to ABS.
As a trial I put everything back, still had the fault.

I removed fuse 53 and nothing changed, ie no other faults, therefore my assumption is that the ABS module is not getting the 12V feed.

So what s the next move - is this the same fault covered in the recall? need to check with vxDealer and show then the pictures.

And if its not covered can I just replace the electronic module - or do a wiring mod to get the power to the module.
if replacing the module will the new module need programming by the tech2?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok just been doing some more reading the web about the recall. It seems that the recall was for the exact same symptom I am showing on the pictures. Corrosion leading to short and heat damage. Thus the charred plastic at the bottom of the pins..
Ok from the vosa website
'It is possible for moisture to enter the ABS connector/control unit. This can cause the ABS system not to function correctly and in the worst case overheating which may lead to fire.'
'Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected to check the ABS control unit, fit a protective cover to the control unit and seal the earth point with wax.'

My car had no protective cover on the ABS unit, nor could I see any wax on earth point.
I would like to ask that if anyone has had this recall done on a Corsa D model or Corsa C model to post a picture.
I will defo be taking this up with vx, as they said this recall had been done. Would be nice to have all the info available when I go in to seem them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK gave head office a call, their response.
The VOSA recall was only for the Cora C. The VIN numbers that that my vehicle fall into are for the Tigra Recall.
However there was a 'Service' repair done free of charge for my Corsa for the same fault,BUT this recall has now been discontinued from 31/12/2010.
Vauxhall therefore will not contribute to rectifying the failure.

From doing a bit of reading it seems to me that the corsa C was the first model with the faulty ABS unit. The reason for the recall was that by time time they found about this it was a a few of years after the C model had been released, therefore they had to contact VOSA as part of the recall code of practice.
In the case of the early 2007 Corsa D models they could hide this fault and not publish due to the fact that it would fall under the 3 year warranty service and it would be done when the car went into service. This in Vauxhalls words was a 'standard service work'.
For vehicles such as mine that was not taken to a Vauxhall dealership for any services (it does have a fully stamped service book from other garages) this fault was not rectified.

My feeling is that I will not get anything out of Vauxhall, BUT I will be contacting VOSA again (already contacted as part of this) to inform them that Vauxhall did make a service changes and or check on these models but not do a recall, therefore there may be many other vehicles on the road that could suffer from ABS failure leading to an accident, or event as it looks like heat damage to my plug cause a fire.

Other users need to check the plus on the ABS for heat and corrosion damage, if they see this get in touch with Vauxhall and VOSA. I will publish another thread with the symptoms and contacts for this fault on the early 2007 corsa-D models..

What I really need to know now, is if I get another module, will it have to programmed using the tech2 or can I just change the unit out.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts