Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
bloody hell drew... your nuts, haha.
dont yank on it too hard, it might snap off :)

good carbon skills tho, you could probably work for a racing team, doing stuff like that.

have you had this wagon out on track yet ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
If I need to do any handbrake turns I have the hydraulic :) though the first time I pulled on the carbon lever I did put on my heaviest leather welding glove, just in case..
Unfortunately I haven't had it on track since last year's shakedown at blyton.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Cant really get a good picture of the handbrake but its fitted and works..

Untrimmed carbon parts for the oil cooler mount/duct

The weight of the aluminium...

versus carbon

The carbon parts are much stiffer.

Assembled and ready to be fitted back on the car

and fitted..

There's probably not much of a weight saving compared to how the oil coolers were mounted, even with the shorter hose runs, but the weight is lower down and the ducting should make the whole cooling package a little more efficient.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
Crappy lock down and winter meen I havent been doing much except for some CAD drawings for parts I need making and cant do myself. More on those when I have physical parts!

What I have been doing the last few weeka is prepping the cam belt cover for carbonising, the standard design of clips and what not doesn't lend itself to replication so I'm using the standard back as the basis of a pattern and the front parts will be made from scratch. The standard set weighs a little over 700g, I should be able to half that...I think

gelcoated

First layer of glass on

Mould finished

Whilst I was waiting for the resin to cure I decided to lighten the damper reservoir brackets, no idea why..

before

after

6 grams total saving, for the pair. Now I think about it I probably have some aluminium screws laying around that could replace the steel ones and save another 6 grams.

Original, if slightly tatty and chopped about cover

roughly trimmed rear, not a bad saving when you consider..

That compared to the original it is 'full depth'...

Retrieved my engine block over the weekend and continued trimming the back cover.

Here I set up a laser cross level that was parallel with the bottom of the block then used the vertical line to trim the front true, you can see the cut edge on the right of the image is green where the laser catches it on the way past.

As I left it, I'm now waiting for a delivery of pulleys and a water pump so I can finish trimming where the idlers fit and then start on the front parts of the cover.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
I had a little play in the steering rack so ordered up a recon unit and replaced it, wont bother with any pictures , its just a rack and not even a corsa one so it wouldnt help anybody. Anyway, Once fitted I got out the scales and the strings..

and did a full geometry set/check, 0.5 deg camber on the rear, 1 deg on the front and 2mm toe out at both ends. Unfortunately our scales were right on the limit so I couldnt corner weight the car. Total weight was 932kg with 10kg fuel on board. 615.4 KG on the front axle, 313.6KG on the rear.

I've also done a little more work on the pattern for the lower timing belt cover.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Finished the mould for the lower timing belt cover.

Made a cover

Original.

Not a bad weight saving

a lot of trimming and test fitting

When I fitted the top front idler pulley and then tried to fit the cover I realised I'd made the cover a bit too slimline by literally two millimeters! So, I removed the standard bolt.

and fitted a low line hex

problem sorted.
I also ordered some standoffs to allow me to bolt the front cover on, but I'm going to have to make some replacements as they weigh 17grams each, not exactly light.
And to finish a couple of pictures with the cover and cam sensor bolted in so i can start on the top section.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Got some more done with the timing covers, didnt take pictures of the pattern and mould making, but its the same as everything else!
Top cover roughly trimmed.

When you make the patterns they have to have a draft on them ie, they are wider at the back than the front otherwise they wont come out of the mould, I've slightly overdone it on this part so rather than starting again i've put some 1mm thick foam on the inside edge to seal the gap, it doesnt look as bad in person as it does in the photo.

Just need to add fasteners

Original set weighed

New set, a 400g saving isnt bad

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
So, I was finally in the mood to swaping the timing belt covers today.

A couple of before picks.

Whilst it was all in pieces I cut the excess material from the engine mount that I presume is used to locate the engine at the factory.

Only another 50 odd grams but every little helps.
All fitted without issue.

321 - 333 of 333 Posts