·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Stunning workmanship on this.
Thanks.

Polished the aluminium and put some shuttering around the edges

Bagged up ready for infusing.

Also have bought a good selection of ratios for the gearbox and a few spare parts.

These will allow me to gear for speeds between 45-58 mph in first and 110-150 in sixth.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Wow, you have almost enough parts to build up a second gearbox in an alternate spec' - like fast and tight track - and you can use it as an emergency spare even if the ratios aren't as might be desired.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Wow, you have almost enough parts to build up a second gearbox in an alternate spec' - like fast and tight track - and you can use it as an emergency spare even if the ratios aren't as might be desired.
I wish, There's about two thirds of the available ratios there but its a long way from enough parts to build a spare box or even a spare cluster. Plus explaining to my better half why I need another gearbox to go with the one in the car and all the spare parts is a conversation I don't think I want to have...

Air guides straight from the tool

Start trimming

Test fit

Bend up some mesh to keep rocks, wildlife, small children out.

Hold it all in place with wire and lollipop sticks whilst the glue sets

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
A small update. I needed to do something with the bulkhead closure plate where the gear selector used to go through so.
I removed it from the car and weighed it of course...

Trimmed it back to leave the flange and screwed it to a board

Filled and pattern coated the plate

Flatted and polished

Mould pulled and polished

Layed up and infused

Pulled from the mould

Trimmed and weighed, a 130g saving.

Steel hold down nuts

Replaced with aluminium, another 50g saved

and the plate fitted

Also I have been doing a little mapping but have had to order bigger injectors as I've run out of duty at 1 bar boost at 7200 rpm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow , what a build , just read through all 16 pages and it’s very very impressive , the skill , detail and execution , unreal ..... well done mate

·
Registered
283 Posts
withought worths

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Agreed, he's one of those lucky people who enjoys the building at least as much as the driving - the better end of the deal, IMO, as instead of a few hours he has hundreds, even thousands of hours of enjoyment out of the car a year!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Wow , what a build , just read through all 16 pages and it’s very very impressive , the skill , detail and execution , unreal ..... well done mate
withought worths
Thanks fellas
Agreed, he's one of those lucky people who enjoys the building at least as much as the driving - the better end of the deal, IMO, as instead of a few hours he has hundreds, even thousands of hours of enjoyment out of the car a year!
I really do enjoy the building, probably because I'm better at the building than the driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ask away..
Do you have any more pictures of the fitting process on your Areocatch's before you changed your slam panel?

And in reference to the use of the z18xer sump, are you able to help me understand a little better what else is involved in relation the the dipstick, and the oil pickup pipe etc?

Absolutely love the build thread, its nice to see someone else whos not afraid to put some actual time and money into "just a corsa" :cool:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Unfortunately I'm pretty bad at taking photos as I go along so the ones that I post are the only ones I have. The way I initially fitted the aero catches was to fit the pins to the slam panel then adjust the length so they just touched the underside of the bonnet outer skin when it was closed, I then apply a small drop of paint to the top of the pins, close the bonnet and that leaves a paint mark which you can use as a reference for the catches themselves. Because the pins and bonnet arent neccesarily at right angles to each other the refrence point wont be exactly correct but its close enough as a starting point.

To use the z18xer sump you must use the z18xer dipstick and tube which plugs straight into the sump and then block the hole in the engine block where the standard one fitted.

When you take the sump of the z18xe, it looks similar to this...

with the oil pick up snaking across from the pump to the deep part of the sump. Because the 18XER sump has the deep portion at the other end this wouldnt fit and normally you'd have to modify it, however, the XER sump has the pick up cast integral to it. like this...

oil flows up the casting with the green arrow and out of the rectanular(ish) hole. That hole is quite large and very close to the oil pump casing, so to make the adaptation easier I cut a piece of aluminium plate to fit the hole and cut a smaller hole in the center.

Then made the alloy block...

that bolts in place of the original pipe and lines up with the integral pick up of the sump.

hope that helps..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Not much of an update as I haven't been able to do any proper work on the car for three months, mostly because of continuously poor weather, but I did take it out for a little mapping session the other day and tested the launch control on a slightly damp road, all went well until the launch control switched off and then it just spun the wheels.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
In an attempt to get a wider range of boost control I've decided to ditch the regular BCS and actuator setup for a garrett electro-mechanical actuator usually found on VNT diesel turbos. One of the ideas been that I can force the waste gate open when launching and stop the engine effectively going into anti lag and building boost.
First task was to source an actuator that's PWM controlled and not can bus, turns out a 6nw008412 will do.
So remove the standard parts.

Then make a bracket the mounts the new actuator on the stock mount.

Fit a 2 pin plug on the actuator and earth it locally to the bracket and a ball joint on the actuator arm, this and the above bracket means I can easily swap straight back to 'normal' if I have to

Actuator mounted and aligned with wastegate arm

I'm slowly homing in on the settings, currently it will launch around 3 or 4 psi, building to about 8 psi, then 12 PSI in 2nd gear and 15 in 3rd upwards..

Also, My custom short(er) stroke crankshaft arrived today, its only taken 72 weeks!

301 - 319 of 319 Posts