Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

261 - 280 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
This is unreal. Wish I knew just half of what you do lol. Might have missed it, but what's the car going to be used for once finished?
Sorry for the delay, it'll be a tarmac rally car with a bit of luck..

recent work has involved plumbing the hydraulic handbrake and bleeding the brakes and the clutch.

Pulled the engine wiring harness to pieces..

to add the extra wires for shift cut and gear potentiometer

and started on a new switch panel..

Front brake pipes rerouted, the old way could see them catching on the driveshafts at the new ride height.

Switch console getting closer to moulding

Driveshaft support bracket mocked up, will complete it once the shafts arrive and i know its in the correct place.

and an S1600 spoiler to duplicate :)

which has had some filling and blocking in an attempt to get the shape a little more uniform..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Shuttering up the spoiler for moulding

Making the mould

Released from mould

Spoiler end fence moulds

and the new switch console fresh from the mould

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
First spoiler 'end fence' out of the mould

roughly trimmed

started prepping the top side of the spoiler for moulding

trimmed up side and base temporarily attached with tape, forgot to take a photo of the bare base moulding

Switch panel trimmed and rivnuts glued in.

cut out for removable panel

installed awaiting switches.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Finished the last spoiler mould, unfortunately there was a reaction with the spoiler so it needed a little repair.

Then pulled the top section

and trimmed and fitted it all together

The seam across the back shouldn't be so noticeable once its been flatted and clear coated

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
The driveshafts have arrived so..

Dry assembled one

Fitted to the car with the cross shaft..

And as i suspected the crank sensor no longer fits, even after grinding some of it away, but we think we've found a non vauxhall alternative which will work.
A small price to pay for identical length drive shafts.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Can't recall what engine management you're using, but all those I'm familiar with have an option where an offset can be applied to the crank sensor - that might be an option if you need to move the pickup for clearance?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
I'm running DTA management, moving the sensor is my non preferred option, as I'm sure you know getting a suitably rigid mount when there's nothing close by to mount to can be a right pita.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Recent progress has included getting some of the mundane stuff done, engine oil and filter changed, refit the exhaust down pipe and put some quick release catches on the bumper so it takes 3 minutes to remove instead of thirty.
Also, finalised, welded up and painted the cross shaft carrier.

Final fit of the cross shaft, and drivers side shaft

made an adapter for the new crank sensor and mounted it, now have millimeters of clearance!

Mounted the gearbox oil cooler

and made up the hoses for it

Quick re program of the dash so i know what gear i'm in.

Washed and ready to go for MoT, which he passed . :)

Knocked up a couple of very rough brackets to hold the damper reservoirs and mounted them.

Cut another hole in the console

and attached a bracket to the rear

to mount the trigger box for the fire extinguisher

Unfortunately the weight is now up to 940kg also the flat shift settings need some looking at as they are acting like antilag and increasing boost by 20 percent.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
A small update.. I was out working on the mapping/flatshifting when, during an upshift, there was an almighty bang and vibration through the car.. Trundled home to find the gearbox mount was been ripped to pieces.

So made a new one from thicker material and with extra webbing, you can see the bends and cracks all over the first one.

Also been working on patterns for a roof vent

and undersealed the rear arch as it was starting to get a lot of surface rust

finished making up the roof vent

Had a visitor to the garage!

And finally made and fitted my own spoiler.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
The last few weekends and evenings saw me stripping the rear anti roll bar off for modifying...
First I added a lever and bracket to carry a push-pull cable.

Which allows me to rotate the near side blade from 'soft'

to 'stiff'

via a push rod in the car

to the third lever I installed with the shifter and hydraulic handbrake assembly.

The lever back is the softest setting so, the most rear grip, the lever forward is the stiffest setting so should push the balance forward, in theory. There's no photo of the bar on the car as you cant see it mounted above the rear beam and trailing arms.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Yesterday I made some new spacers up for the front suspension, old on left, new on right with an 8mm offset

Which moved the pivot point of the rear of the bottom arm down from here

to here

This should remove some of the anti lift geometry built in to the suspension which should help traction at the expense of some pitching under braking and acceleration. Theoretically it wants to go down further but that would require a major re-engineer of the subframe.
Also marked up the roof..

and fitted the vent.

it still needs sealing and i'll cut down the studs when i do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I Love this build! Unbelivable engineering going on! Gives me some enthusiasme for my own projects :)

261 - 280 of 310 Posts