Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody, I've been a bit of a lurker on here for a while but decided to sign up and share my little project (Some may have seen it on a couple of other sites.)

So. About two years ago I decided it was time for a new project, I'd decided what I wanted to build already so set about looking for a straight base. Eventually found this..

Within a week or so, I'd set to removing all the interior and electrics, heater box, aircon, everything.

Then rewired it front to back fitting a DTA ECU and instrument, fuses, relays and all the switchgear as low down and as light as possible.

Modified the manifold to take a mechanical throttle body and map/air temp sensor.

Stripped out the ABS

Then mapped the car and took it for it's MOT, I'd owned the car about three months at this point

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Corsa C s1800 turbo..

Next job was to remove all the surplus brackets and mountings.

and fit some new ones to take new seats.. My brother helps out with the welding, although I can weld I wouldn't trust my life to it!

Next job was to sort the steering wheel so I cut the centre out of the old one.

Did a little turning.

then took a bock of ali and did a little more turning.

Then put it all together with a carbon switch holder i'd made.

I then spent the next month with the help of my brother and a friend making a wooden pattern, then some moulds and a new carbon fibre dashboard..

Which I had flocked.

Next little job was some polycarb windows

Then I made some more moulds for the rear hatch, handle and SRi spoiler and made carbon ones..

Which was also fitted with a polycarb window.

Then moulds for a bonnet and made a bonnet

I'd now owned the car six or seven months..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

The next thing I set to was pedals.. Again I wanted light weight and low down so some cutting and turning steel.

Some more welding by my brother..

and then installed in the car..

I then decided to stop the engine moving around so turned up some polyurethane bushes and fabbed two new engine mounts (cant find the photo of the gearbox end)..

At some point I'd installed 308mm brakes and found them uninspiring to say the least so Back to the lathe with a couple of alloy billets.

and fabbed up these, the step I had to pay to have machined as I dont have a milling machine

AP 4 pots with 330x28 discs, now it stops..

Then this arrived after six months of waiting..

But before we could fit that some other mods were needed so out with the plasma cutter, parts for a fuel tank..

internally baffled, trap doors and a 'sump' under neath, I've accidentally ran this down till there was two litres of fuel in it and had no fuel starvation.

A homemade breather/catch tank

Then did a cad drawing from the exhaust gasket and had these cut..

Then spent a few days getting these transition tubes the correct shape and making a collector.

Then one quiet sunday afternoon my brother tacked this together..

Another joint effort with my brother, the oil cooler mount..

There was then a few months of making brackets, adapters, hoses, dull stuff like that then Saturday morning May bank holiday weekend 2013 the car drove into my mates garage normally aspirated and at tea time drove out turbo charged.

A z18xer sump made routing the 3" stainless, side exit exhaust a little easier, again fabbed my my brother..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Next job was to fit wheel speed sensors on all four corners so I could have traction control, launch control and boost on gear from the ecu.

Then it was time to sort the standard inlet manifold which would ultimately restrict power later in the project.

so I bought a z16let inlet manifold, supposedly good for around 400bhp, made an adapter plate and fitted it..

much neater routing, pulls better and required a significant change to the top end fueling so a step in the right direction i think.

Around July the next major step was started. S1600 body kit arrived.

I then spent what must have been a solid month filling and flatting to get rid of the moulded in stone chips (I kid you not)

Pulled one or two moulds.

then reproduced the whole lot in carbon..

Had a few problems along the way with damaged moulds and stuck product but got there in the end.

Then did some more turning and made various spacers etc for the wider front track, steering arm extensions and castor adjustable top mounts, this is still a work in progress.

Most recently I cut out the rear arches to make room for wheels and suspension travel when the car is lowered.

and thats pretty much where we are, I'll keep this updated as things progress..

·
North Western Regional Coordinator
9,554 Posts

fantastic work I love the fabrication especially the oil cooler housing

·
Registered
886 Posts

Holy ****!! All the fabricating & carbon fibre work is mighty impressive!

Keep it up, I look forward to seeing more :thumb:

·
MIGWeb Lord
3,839 Posts

Very impressive build! Love the have a go fabrication and carbon work, will be keeping an eye on this, love the Corsa C S1600's look

·
Registered
630 Posts

Fantastic fab and machining skills - never mind home made carbon panels - impressed :)

How did you modify the accelerator pedal for a cable or have you used another pedal ?

Any pictures ?

Glad to see another Corsa wide arch project - hopefully ours will be finished next year

Dave

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks for the positive comments chaps.

Fearless Dave, the throttle pedal was a modified vectra one i think, I'll have to look through my notes to confirm, it was chosen as a starting point because it matched the throttle body and cable from a x20xev.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

This is f**ing mint!! One of the best projects on here recently.

Only criticism is the rear brace location.

Btw, you would make fortunes if you made them arms for sale, for corsas or astras mk4s.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

This is f**ing mint!! One of the best projects on here recently.

Only criticism is the rear brace location.

Btw, you would make fortunes if you made them arms for sale, for corsas or astras mk4s.
I'll have to do some test miles with the front arms before I'd make them for anyone else, they should be strong enough but you never know.

What don't you like about the harness bar?

·
MIGWeb Lord
3,839 Posts

I'll have to do some test miles with the front arms before I'd make them for anyone else, they should be strong enough but you never know.

What don't you like about the harness bar?
The panels you have attached it too are not strong enough and would flex/tear if you had a bad crash, much better to weld a strut brace between the two suspension turrets and attach them to that mate

1 - 20 of 310 Posts