Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
601 - 620 of 646 Posts

·
MigWeb Member
11,216 Posts
I personally think the mk3 Astra is a arse to work on and I hate the front suspension set up. Gonna get a corsa play car once I've got the house sorted tho and rebuild it all :) good way for me to learn
I agree, subframes and parts that are "supposed to be there" just make a lot of simple job ten times harder.

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts
I agree, subframes and parts that are "supposed to be there" just make a lot of simple job ten times harder.
Take a simple job and add obstacles that's vauxhalls design of a mk3 Astra ffs

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
made some progress with the gearbox

spent some time degreasing it as much as possible with cif powerspray and a bit of petrol

got the pressure washer out and blasted it all off :)

left it to dry for a few hours and removed the clutch arm ready for paint

painted in primer

then a coat of some wheel silver

and a second coat and all put back together :)

all i got to do now is fit it at the weekend

cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
my expertly trained eye tells me that you've chopped off a small bracket on the right hand side of the last picture.

yep.........im good!:rolleyes:

lmaolmaolmao

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would also change the clutch arm for the later type cast one as the one you have there usually cracks at the oblong hole both mine did anyway but where covered by network Q !

If you can't get a cast one just mod that one by welding a strip of flat steel along the top ! its what most folks do when thay break !

·
MigWeb Member
11,216 Posts
Would also change the clutch arm for the later type cast one as the one you have there usually cracks at the oblong hole both mine did anyway but where covered by network Q !

If you can't get a cast one just mod that one by welding a strip of flat steel along the top ! its what most folks do when thay break !
I've heard this a lot but never had one crack on me.

nice job on chopping the bracket, I forgot about mine and ended up hacksawing it in the bay and finishing it with a file, it looks a bit **** lmao

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
ive never heard of them cracking before, but will keep an eye on it anyways, thanks for the info though :)

cheers gaz, i didnt chop it off on the f16 when i first put the engine in an i couldnt get the fan to go back in so i chopped it off in the bay like you did and it looked crap aswell lmao, thought it was best to do this one while it was out lmao cant see what it does to be honest :confused:

not seen any updates on yours in a while, everything going ok with it?

·
MigWeb Member
11,216 Posts
it's a locator from the factory for when they mounted the box onto the block with the big machines.

mine is on hold for a short while, I'm waiting for surgery on my shoulder at the minute so out of work with not much money to put into it, it will be out for show season next year though as it pretty much is done, just needs T&T and an exhaust making up.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
it's a locator from the factory for when they mounted the box onto the block with the big machines.

mine is on hold for a short while, I'm waiting for surgery on my shoulder at the minute so out of work with not much money to put into it, it will be out for show season next year though as it pretty much is done, just needs T&T and an exhaust making up.
yh i know what its like where money is concerned, i cant seem to find any half decent work, think working on my car is only thing keeping me going to be honest

will be nice to meet up at some of the shows next year :) hope your surgery goes ok aswell :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
so set about getting the F20 fitted yesterday

first off i drained the oil by taking the diff plate off, stupidly i dropped the plate onto the side of the bowl while the oil was coming out and half of it ended up on the floor :doh::doh:

separated the ball joints as i didn't want to touch the upright bolts and change the camber then got the shafts out

the short shaft came out in 2 pieces as the inner cv boot had split so the inner cv joint stayed in the box

passenger side tie rod and bottom arm removed aswell as the rear mount and linkage

replaced the rear mount aswell as it was twisted, was never changed after its
accident :confused: so donoured it from the tigra i broke few weeks back

supported the engine with a jack and got the front mount off

got all the bellhousing bolts out and with a bit of a wiggle it was out :)

new cv boot on short shaft

checked the clutch while the box was out, its not too bad but will get a new one put in over winter, will most probably change the flywheel for a flat one aswell at the same time

transferred the speedo drive and clutch cover from the F16 to the F20 and got it lifted in and bolted up on the second attempt, first attempt failed as the fan was in the way so that had to be unbolted and lifted up

all bolted back together pretty quickly from then until we got the the short driveshaft, the nut would go on the first set of thread but not tighten up on the second set, the threads had gone for some unknown reason so had to dismantle it again and change the cv joint, good job i kept a spare :)

the broken cv joint, sorry about the picture, by this time it was starting to get dark

new cv joint fitted and tightened up this time :)

had to chop some of the threads off the new cv as the cap wouldnt go on

torqued up the driveshaft nuts, fitted split pins, fitted caps, wheels back on, filled gearbox back up and done :)

took her for a test drive and its loads better, not working so hard through the gears anymore, thanks to kwkmanta for a brilliant gearbox :)

more soon

cheers

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
the weather wasnt great today and wanted something to do so decided to finally fit my kick panel lights i got a while ago

removed both kick panels and roughly marked up on the back where i wanted them to go

poked a few holes with the soldering iron to remove the unwanted plastic then used a stanley to trim them till they fitted correctly

so thats them fitted to the panels, waited for a break in the weather and set about wiring them in

decided to run wires from the interior light down the A pillars to the kick panels

noticed a damp patch on the roof lining while taking it to bits and fit the wires, seems the windscreen hasnt been fitted very well so will be having words with the man who fitted it and see what he is going to do about it :mad:

the wires coming into the interior light

all wired in :)

and working

not a brilliant picture as its dark, will get some better ones in the day time

cheers

601 - 620 of 646 Posts