Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, ive been on here a while now and thought it was time to start my project log, im new to all this as its my first project :)

This is the car the xev is going in, a 1.4 8v merit which has only got 34k on the clock, mainly because it was accident damaged on the front drivers side, had an arguement with a black london cab lmao, it needed the bulk head pulling out, new chassis leg welding on, bonnet, wing, slam panel, headlights, bumper rail, bumper etc etc and was originaly an automatic but was rebuilt and converted to a manual by my dad about 4 years ago......but sadly have no pictures of the damage as they were on my old computer and havent managed to recover them

the plan originally was to follow the crowd and put a c20xe in it, but then i got offered a R reg vectra cdx for FREE off my dad :eek: it had been sat outside the house for a while and wasnt getting used and was going to get scrapped as no one wanted it so he said i could have it for the engine and box etc etc, so i did lmao

i ripped the engine out and started sourcing the bits i needed to do the conversion, i got a f16 gearbox and part of the coversion mount off a close mate on here (matt_b_gsi) he was even nice enough to paint the gearbox for me and i got a astra xev wiring loom, and the other part to the mount off some other mig members :)

this is some of the progress i have made so far:

cleaned down the xev as it had 100k's worth of **** on it lmao and give it a nice lick of paint

started ripping the old 1.4 8v out today, got the engine loom disconnected from the engine, drained the coolant and removed pipes and header tank, and dropped exhaust, not much but its a start

so thats my project :)

comments welcome

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
yeah I did - pretty much as per an XE, you just have the added complication of the transponder - but if yours has one anyway, which being an N it should, you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got some more work done 2day on the car, i got the driveshafts off then got the engine off its mountings, i took the radiator off aswell as i didnt want it too get damaged, the engine is almost ready to come out now, i just got to get the exhaust off the car as its in the way because i dont have a engine hoist :eek: so the engine has to be dropped out the bottom :)

hopefully it should be put at some point tomorrow :) and this other part of the conversion mount should be here aswell....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
finally got the engine out after struggling for ages with the exhaust, i was really starting too loose my temper with it :lol:

just gotta get the car up a bit higher so i can drag the engine out from underneath, then i can start cleaning up the engine bay a bit :)

so thats it so far :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
been a while since ive updated

i managed to drag the engine out, had to put my axle stands on breeze blocks to get the car up high enough :lol: but once it was up the engine was straight out :)

then i lowered the car again and made a start at cleaning the engine bay a bit, but didnt get any pics :)

im still waiting on the other piece to the engine mounting, its been nearly a week now since i paid for it, i hope its here soon as its the only thing stoping me putting the new engine in :(

also got the old wiring loom off, ecu and transponder

also took the starting and charging loom off so i could start tidying it up a bit as it had bits of old insulating tape hanging off it, so im going to rewrap it and install it too the new engine, but gotta take the inlet manifold off again to do it :)

had to do a bit of modifying to the xev ecu aswell as it wouldnt quite fit in the space where the ols one was, so i cut the mounting brackets off it with my trusty hack saw :D now it just about fits but still quite tight
before

after

cheers :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
How long are you now then mate, your on coilovers yehh mate. Got any pictures side on to see how it sits mate. Cant wait to see the progress with this now, it will then make me go the same route haa.

:)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
cheers mate, its not on coilovers, its 60mm front 90mm back but got some coilovers lined up for it so gonna go lower :) will get a pic to show you how low it is at the back

liam :)
Thank you mate. Get it up asap will be nice to see it sitting low haa. Im still yet to fit my 60mm springs and lowered shocks so keeping the suspence haa.

:)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Thats pretty low mate. You know in the first picture where its 60/60 is that just springs or with shortened shocks too mate ??

Liam

1 - 20 of 646 Posts