Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pllllllease, somebody help me! my mums corsa failed the MOT on emissions today. I'm thinking that it's either the lambda sensor or the EGR valve. Is there a way to "blank" the EGR off, without actually removing it......like block off a pipe going to it. i mean, the exhaust gasses have to have a route to the EGR, so can i block/strangle that pipe, just to get thru the MOT?

Thanks for the taking the time to read this probably stupid question.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
hiya jags, need more info as to what it failed on, CO, HC, ect.

·
Banned
307 Posts
doubt its the egr mate, that wouldn't affect your emissions mate, thats just reusing your exhaust gases,

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
indeed, high HC & CO is running rich or innefficiant (crappy plugs!)........ try running some redex through as well, ask the guy to check the emmisions before doing the re-test or you will loose the free re-test (if he a good guy that is!)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
indeed, high HC & CO is running rich or innefficiant (crappy plugs!)........ try running some redex through as well, ask the guy to check the emmisions before doing the re-test or you will loose the free re-test (if he a good guy that is!)

thanks everyone! It also failed on a broken headlight, and holed tail cluster. i'm getting those tomorrow, and try a retest.

I thought that if the EGR was stuck open, it could affect the emmissions by letting exhaust gasses in when it shouldn't?

Quote from allcorsa.co.uk

" EGR = Exhaust Gas Recycling Valve

Done to tighten up emissions by taking some of the exhaust gas and putting it back in the inlet manifold to burn it again at higher RPM where the engine burns more efficiently.

If it seizes up, then it will dump CO/CO2 into the engine at lower RPM and this will make the emission levels rise.
It also has the effect by reducing the available oxygen in the unburnt gases of reducing the cars performance slightly at lower RPM (I say slightly)"

I'm new to all this EGR lark as the LET doesn't have one (thank fark!). Proper tech info (ecu control / pipe diagrams, etc) seem to be very thin on the ground for this engine.

once again, Thanks everyone...I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Failed again, the tester just did a gas test, so not counted as a retest..

HC was ok, but CO on fast idle was high, and a bit smokey, smelling of petrol, so I suspect the Lambda.

Vauxhall price £70 (£56 trade club), AutoVaux £12.51 +Vat:eek:....Theres alot to be said for ringing around for prices...

Christ-on-a-bike, it was a bugger to get the sodding thing out...run the engine to temperature and try it, no joy (followed by swearing and shouting), add WD40, leave to soak, twist and it virtually fell out..........ordering one tomorrow.

·
Banned
307 Posts
keep updated on here mate will be intereseted to know if it was lambda

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It Passed! Looks like it was tha lambda. The lambda is a 1 wire unit...does that mean that it only works when the exhaust gasses have heated it up enough to work properly (as it doesn't have its own heater like 3-wire units?

It has an odd problem that she takes loads of cranking to restart after a stall, i think that may have sent some unburnt fuel down the exhaust and damaged the lambda and maybe also the cat.....but for now, I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks for all the help from interested parties, it's much appreciated. My field of interest is Astra Mk2 and LETs, so I really need to learn more about this engine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys. Its been a long time with this post but my friend have the same problem with his Corsa B. its 1.4 16v 90hp. About 3 years of ownership his car passed MOT fine. After he was sending his car to the welder to weld exhaust mufflers, the welder told him that mufflers was in bad shape and this welding thing its just temporary. Anyway my friend tried and he failed emission test. He was back ti the welder and bought two mufflers and welded (middle and rear) but the problem still there, the car still failed. Lambda was 0.98 was ok, but fast idle 1.14% and normal idle 0.89 something like that. Too high. Yesterday a new cat was installed, but again it failed. Lambda still good, but co2 levels at both rpms was significantly lower. The welder after dismantling the catalytic, he observed the lambda sensor and it was a bit white, but he told that was ok like that. Now what can go wrong in this particular engine to fail emission test. Spark plugs are new, oil, its filter, air filter, timing belt kit new..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts