Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what size/type of thread that the dash temp senders use, the ones that go in to the stat? im after on in a M10, if thats any use

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
couldnt find out, was asking at vauxhall today.

If you are just after an M10 sender, deamon tweaks sell them for £5.53, will turn up next day in the post.

01978 664466

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, you have posibly had the same idea as me, temp sender in the side of the head where the oil way core plug things are

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are 2, on either side, looked on epc and it says M10

heres the pic, i know they are on the pully end but they are also on the dizzy end too

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
so your doing this for oil temp then ? The deamon tweaks sender does 0-150 deg, i dont think a vauxhall sender will go that high.

ive spotted this one just above the centre of the exhaust manifold too.

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been thinking about it, saves farting about drilling sumps etc, ill go down to my local factors tommorrow and see what they can get, of not ill give DT a ring.

that one above the exhast, thats where the head is sleved if the heads go pourous, thats where mine was done.

what do you reckon, good idea?

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
i'll give it a go tommorow, see what readings i get. the one under the dizzy probably goes into the oil gallery feeding the cam journals. flow is probably minimal, and will be quite high due to heat soak from the engine.

worth a go though, ive got my guages all wired up, even the signal tracer just hanging by the sump waiting. I'll BTTT this post tommorow.

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, i had on of the plugs out before and there was quite a bit of oil comming out when i took it out.

think the heat soak will only really be a factor when stationary as i would think there a bit of airflow round the sides when moving, just dug out my old oil temp gauge and that only goes up to 150 deg max.

have you got on of those M10 adaptors/senders then?

let me know how you get on, will be interested

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
hmm this sounds interesting.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
yeah, as it happens i'm probably keeping whoever makes those senders in business. ive had about 4 so far, ruined them in various ways.

I was trying to weld one into a brass t-piece and it over heated and exploded which was quite fun, then i thought i'd have another go being more careful with the 2nd, that one exploded too. ordered 2 more, ruined another today trying to shorten it for a adapter i had. So, 1 left lmao

I just finished making a T piece out of household copper pipes (instead of soldering the sender directly into it, got an M10>M14 adapter instead), gonna slip that into the coolant hose exiting the block below the dizzy, tommorow.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
0ddball said:
it over heated and exploded
lmao sounds just like a transfer box

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
for that application you will need a head temp gauge and sender. they do them in america loads.
for oil temp you still use the oil sump as thats whats being pumped into the engine, but i suppose any reference is good as long as you can compare with the same values on a standard car. and we all know what oil temps should be, but head temps are different as the gauge goes much higher iirc

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
do you recollect, at some point in your motoring history, the upper half of your thermostat housing having an allen head blanking plug top right ?

I used to have one, and that plug is M10x1, been trying to get one of those housings this morning, NLS at vauxhall, motorfactors dont have them, SBD sell them but only with their cool running 70deg stats @ 44 quid.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
16vastra said:
errr actually i might be thinking of a sensor that goes in the combustion chamber...hold on a sec :confused:
ive seen a sykyline, the hyperlemon 1000bhp, it has 3 combustion temperature sensors one for each 2 cylinders. quite cool looking with all the gauges and a very good way of telling if somethin is up.

rodgerq

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
yeah odders, the 8v has one as a bleed valve, the current one is just blocked, you could drill it lol
and you aint never gonna get a sender wired up in the plugs jamie posted up, but theres one on the other side which is clear on mine. dunno whether its an oilway like.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts