Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been waiting a while for my phase 3.5 gavs having a little problem getting hold of recalibrated chips for 3.5 hopefully it will be sorted very soon,but when it does arrive i dont think my clutch is going to take the stick.
i know this has been discussed on many occassions but what is the final conclusion,i use my car daily also in traffic.
what are helix clutches like with organic friction plate, other option is paddle but will this be good in traffic and is it harsh on the flywheel,i also have lsd dont know if this affects anything.
also what prices are we looking for the clutches mentioned above.
whats everyone running.
i need a clutch in the next few days so need to make a quick decision.

·
Registered
117 Posts
tabs,

ive had both ap organic and ap paddle. the paddle is a pig in traffic as there is little give, its either on or off. the organic is better for everyday use, but they usually can't take as much stick.

slim

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the paddle clutch have a shorter life span when used in traffic and does it shorten the life span of the flywheel.
ive never driven a car with a paddle clutch when you say its on or off do you still release the clutch slowly to find the biting point or is it literally press down clutch and quickly release clutch to move off, if this is the case how the hell would you crawl in traffic.
will the organic helix take 330bhp or do you mean it womnt take as much as the paddle

·
Registered
117 Posts
tabs,

dunno about how long they last, it really depends on the car (2 or 4wd) and how much u abuse it. i blew mine's to pieces along with my selector shaft !!. anyway what i meant was that the biting point is quite vicious with a paddle, but they are better for full power take offs.

slim

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch

what car do you drive how and what did you excactly blow up.
what are paddle clutches like in haevy traffic can you crawl along and can you hold a car stationary on ahill using the paddle clutch.

·
Registered
117 Posts
tabs,

as stated earlier, its really down to the car and the driver. the car that i cooked was a 99 remapped impreza turbo . blew the clutch and the selector fork into wee bits. its torque that kills boxes , not horsepower.

slim

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Wallace Performance Clutch

Get the Wallace Performance clutch Phone Gav and get the one i have! Good uprated clutch!
cheers Craig

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
i drove a saxo vtr with a paddle at the weekend.... i stalled it 10 times before i got going..... and that was on the flat lmao

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Re: Wallace Performance Clutch

GSImad said:
Get the Wallace Performance clutch Phone Gav and get the one i have! Good uprated clutch!
cheers Craig
Its rated lower than Tabs needs. A Paddle Clutch is probably your best bet - talk to Rob Fairbrother, I think he had one in his car before 'the work' and it died. He will be able to tell you why.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
mixed opinions, some people have got away with LuK or Sachs cluths you get for the C20LET from local motor factors and they have been ok.

I got Gav's clutch for £220 for peace of mind.

I think paddle clutchs are a bit over the top, sure they will work but will other weaker links in the system break (ie gearbox ??).

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
my luk one is fine and my friends had no probs or slip in his 300 bhp astra! luk/sachs nice and cheap for you local factors at 120 quid

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Clutch

I have the Wallace Performance Clutch on my car, and it doen't slip. It cost £220 it is luk but the material its made of is uprated.
I am running the phase 3 with 2wd and the tyres spin, before the clutch would slips!!! Dont know about 4wd!:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts