Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but what is it?
there was oily deposits in the inlet tract too of No2 ! and the plug was crusty and oily/black,
notice the valve colours too.
and yet 4 looks as if its been burning fine but thats the pot with real bad leakdown test?

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Stem seals on the oily cyl and bad piston/rings/bore on no. 4.
How many miles on that? Exhaustt valves are nice n clean and looking a tad lean(ish) too me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think its possible piston rings and the valve seats. If the rings wear you get excess piston blow by causing excessive crank case pressure causing the engine to breath more which can cause oil in the inlet tracts which can then fowel the valve seats and give you your prob. Also check turbo seal condition. Thats my theory mate but i dont have much engine building knowledge so i tend to rebuild the whole lot so i make sure everythings A1 when it goes back together.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rs1 said:
Stem seals on the oily cyl and bad piston/rings/bore on no. 4.
How many miles on that? Exhaustt valves are nice n clean and looking a tad lean(ish) too me.
stem seals yes! it all makes sense! the car used to start erratically then once running it was fine! so oil drips down the stem say over night leaving a puddle of oil then when you come to start it cough cough oil don't burn to well then once its been pushed out the exhaust it runs fine. and the leak is not that bad otherwise it would smoke ! but a leak never the less!
how does it end up in the inlet tract tho ? the boost pipes are bone dry?

·
91,273 Posts
top breather hoses go to the inlet manifold.

·
91,273 Posts
No in regards to the inlet tract

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nobbie said:
No in regards to the inlet tract
yep, there was only oil traces in the No2 inlet tract !
not in 1,3 or 4 !
which if oil was being sucked in from breathers then all 4 would have signs !! ??

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dicky said:
excuse my ignorance but could the oil in the inlet tract be a result of the leakdown test?
now that sounds feezable, oil drips into cylinder (leaking stem seal) sitting on piston as before then i charge the cylinder with air and rock the crank to get the best result but having slightly opened the inlet valves, and ha presto oil escapes into the tract ! ;) maybe

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no 4 piston out and it looks perfect to me ! wtf (the worst leakdown result)
only observation was that the ring gaps where not at 180deg from each other unless thats not right either ?

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
leesturbo said:
no 4 piston out and it looks perfect to me ! wtf (the worst leakdown result)
only observation was that the ring gaps where not at 180deg from each other unless thats not right either ?

going by that pic somthing has been leaking past the top ring as the ring land btween the top and middle ring is black, so theres the problem.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jamie_F said:
going by that pic somthing has been leaking past the top ring as the ring land btween the top and middle ring is black, so theres the problem.
ummmm, thx jamie , its weird tho eh !

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
artfulmatt said:
mine are the same - I put it down to the bore gap being so large that you get blow by when cold - until the piston is hot enough to expand and fill the gap ;)

hense why I said were the engine hot when u done the leak down ????
was hot from what i remember ??
but heat only gona expand piston not rings, i think its a case of driving TOO gently when running in, it needs some revs and load to bed in the rings ??? !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts