Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've just joined the forum, and if possable I'm looking for some help / info on how to put rear windows into my 59 plate Combo van.
I bought it cheap and have turned it into a 'cheep and cheerful' camper van. I want to fit glass into the rear doors but am unsure if it's easy enough or not.
The rear doors look as if the centre panels come out ?, again not sure if this is correct or do I have to cut them out ?

Any help , info etc that anyone can throw my way , well I'd be really grateful.

Cheers guys,

rolandb

·
Registered
556 Posts
ive converted a car, into a camper, and i would personally recommend leaving the panel doors how they are myself.

for me, my initial thinking was to buy a car with windows, for better visibility, which helps out for rear view, and reversing, but untill i actually lived in the thing for a while, i didnt realise how much of a pain, they can be, when it comes to sleeping in it. side windows, and sunroof's too.

glass windows cant be insulated properly, so its gonna make it hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter, and the glass also lets more sound in, which can disturb your sleep. it also leaves the vehicle more susceptible to break in, and potential water leaks from a bad seal too, as well as light leeching out, giving less privacy, so theres quite a few things there, to consider.

it all depends how often your going to use it really. if you only plan on sleeping in it, a couple times a year, then windows would be beneficial to every day driving, but if you plan to sleep in it for extended periods, for work, or travel, etc, i'd stick with the panels, personally.

a good way round it, keeping the panel doors, and having the visibility, is to get a camera rear view mirror kit. small camera goes on the back of the van, and sends the image to a mounted rear view mirror screen. it will work out quite a bit cheaper than buying a pair of rear doors, too.

ive owned a combo in the past, and that actually had matching colour white vinyl plastic, stuck over the rear glass. i heated it up, and peeled it off, to expose the glass. check yours out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive converted a car, into a camper, and i would personally recommend leaving the panel doors how they are myself.

for me, my initial thinking was to buy a car with windows, for better visibility, which helps out for rear view, and reversing, but untill i actually lived in the thing for a while, i didnt realise how much of a pain, they can be, when it comes to sleeping in it. side windows, and sunroof's too.

glass windows cant be insulated properly, so its gonna make it hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter, and the glass also lets more sound in, which can disturb your sleep. it also leaves the vehicle more susceptible to break in, and potential water leaks from a bad seal too, as well as light leeching out, giving less privacy, so theres quite a few things there, to consider.

it all depends how often your going to use it really. if you only plan on sleeping in it, a couple times a year, then windows would be beneficial to every day driving, but if you plan to sleep in it for extended periods, for work, or travel, etc, i'd stick with the panels, personally.

a good way round it, keeping the panel doors, and having the visibility, is to get a camera rear view mirror kit. small camera goes on the back of the van, and sends the image to a mounted rear view mirror screen. it will work out quite a bit cheaper than buying a pair of rear doors, too.

ive owned a combo in the past, and that actually had matching colour white vinyl plastic, stuck over the rear glass. i heated it up, and peeled it off, to expose the glass. check yours out.
Hi Nova16, thanks for the reply.

The reason for thinking of fitting rear glass was simply to let more light in on days that I was out 'camping' in it and the weather was maybe a tad too bad to have the rear or side doors open.
The vans only going to be used , mainly as a 'day van' but also for the odd 1 or 2 nights away. I'm retired so certainly don't need it for work, but the 'flipside' is I did wonder if for the amount of time I'll be away in it, is the cost worth it ??

Unsure, needs more thinking about.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The reason for thinking of fitting rear glass was simply to let more light in on days that I was out 'camping' in it and the weather was maybe a tad too bad to have the rear or side doors open.
The vans only going to be used , mainly as a 'day van' but also for the odd 1 or 2 nights away. I'm retired so certainly don't need it for work, but the 'flipside' is I did wonder if for the amount of time I'll be away in it, is the cost worth it ??
extra lights always good. cant see much in the dark.
price wise, depends on the seller, and the condition, but you could probably find a pair of second hand doors, for around £100 ish, i would have thought.
youll have to look around. breakers yards, ebay, combo forum, etc.
if i remember rightly, from when i had my van, once youve undone the crusty (cement covered) bolts, that hold the check strap mechanism, and disconnected the wiring loom, the rear door hinges are 4 bolts per door, i think, and its off, so there not hard to swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
extra lights always good. cant see much in the dark.
price wise, depends on the seller, and the condition, but you could probably find a pair of second hand doors, for around £100 ish, i would have thought.
youll have to look around. breakers yards, ebay, combo forum, etc.
if i remember rightly, from when i had my van, once youve undone the crusty (cement covered) bolts, that hold the check strap mechanism, and disconnected the wiring loom, the rear door hinges are 4 bolts per door, i think, and its off, so there not hard to swap
Cheers for that,, I'm going to start looking, you never know I might come up lucky and get a good pair at a half decent price,,,🤞

1 - 5 of 5 Posts