Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20XE corsa tried to fry me a few weeks ago with burning. I'v e stripped back all the wiring loom to see the cable has burnt all the way down inside the dash loom till it goes just out of sight.

Now its taken out around 5-7 other cables (heat melting the other rubber). Now im faced with two options (im TERRIBLE with electrics).

1 - Pay an electrician to come round, repair the wires that are knackard leaving the original loom in there.

2 - Attempt to repair it myself (actually, ignore this one :eek: )

3 - Get the rest of the dash out (already got heater control unit, dials, vents etc out, but not the dash itself) and replace the whole dash loom (does thsi mean the whole internal looms got to be replaced)?

I need a quick and easy option as PVS is rapidly closing and i've hardly bloody driven the car this year :(

·
Mig Club Member
9,312 Posts
I'd attempt to sort it myself. Maybe take a bit longer than a professional but could save you £££. If its too difficult for you, get them in to have a look. He wont charge you loads in labour for removing the dash as its already done.

:)

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is the closest electricians is 7 miles away and wont do home service. All other electricians for cars are 15+ miles away and dont seem keen to come out :(

·
Mig Club Member
9,312 Posts
Bit of a nasty one then!

Do you a) have the time and b) the patients to do the job!

If not I'd pay, but try and get some garanty of the cost. Don't want the dash out etc and them asking for more £££ because of unexpected problems.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Have you found what caused the meltdown?

Have a go yourself. Make sure you solder and then cover any joints and that you use the same guage wire.

It's not too hard. Have you got haynes' for both the engine and the corsa?

If not I'm sure someone would be able to scan the relavent pages in and mail them to you.

Orange Peel said:
Bit of a nasty one then!

Do you a) have the time and b) the patients to do the job!

If not I'd pay, but try and get some garanty of the cost. Don't want the dash out etc and them asking for more £££ because of unexpected problems.

Probably going to be a couple of nasty surprises coming anyway with a loom fire:(

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the engine loom had been worn through and shorted out the ignition live. Only the fact it wore through effected the engine loom (luckily) and a small part at the 9 pin switch which im sure i can sort.

The other half comes out, under the dash and along to the passanger side where its joined by another load of wiring loom. This is where i loose sight as its right in the middle so u kinda need to "go in with your back arched over the door sill" to be able to see up inside.

Im gonna have a go at stripping back everything i can, but it seems its a tow down to the electricians jobbie.

Oh, not really got the time, but not really got the money, but with electrics, im not sure its something i should take on unless im 95% confident, but im not, im morelike 3% confident lol (i hate electrics).

If anyone has got the wiring diagram for a

Vauxhall Corsa (1996 pre facelift) 1.4 16v Sport (or similar, should be the same??)

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, only about 6-7 wires, about say 10-12 in total need a new bit of cable.

Most of the dash is already out. I dont want to get a new loom as your say, its a ***ker of a job, everything inside needs to come out, and I really haven't got the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.