Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to change the waterpump on an XE corsa? whats it like for room?

The engines currently out but I cant undo my bottom pulley while its out the car :doh:

Tried locking the flywheel but still not having it, I thought if I done it once its in the car then at least I can use the box and breaks for some resistance

Anyone got any recomendations?

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Bottom pulley has four allen bolts holding it on correct?

If so, use a 19mm (iirc) socket on the crank bolt and hold it still while you undo the allen headed bolts...

Easy as pie

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fool who owned the engine before me changed the allan bolts for normal headed bolts, dont know how because you cant get a socket over them at all ,

No choice but to take the main E20 bolt out and pull the entire pulley off

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Drill the heads off the 6 bolts holding the lower alternator/PAS pulley on. Once the bolt heads and the pulley are off, unscrew the remaining parts of the bolts with a pair of mole grips.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nearly shifted it before but as I wasnt using an E20 the socket slipped...

Gonna wait now and get myself an E20, not worth risking it anymore as if I round it off im well and truly furbered :eek:

If that fails then i'll crack the ole' black and decker out :nod:

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Just remember that you're (ideally) going to have to get a new bolt and apply about the same amount of pressure to re-tighten the bolt again afterwards. It's about 180Ibft and a 50degree angle turn.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im going to replace the bolt and hopefully get the 13mm's that have been used replaced for normal ones aswell, if I cant get them out im getting a new pulley!

I'll post how I get on,

Any idea where I could get an E20 socket on a Sunday?

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
You do realise that you can change the water pump without removing the E20/lower cam pulley? I thought you were removing the E20 because you couldn't undo the other 6 bolts. If you plan on replacing the 6 bolts anyway, then I'd just concentrate on removing them and leave the E20 alone.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keiran,

Basically the engine is in my garage ready to go in my corsa but I want to change the pump and belts first,

Im gonna have to go for the drilling now but im bothered that if I drill the heads I might not be able to remove the screws with molegrips afterwards

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Once the heads are off, the remaining threaded part should be finger tight. It's the rust seal between the heads and the pulley stopping them from turning :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts