Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the clutch on these bigblock F23's be changed while the box is still in the car ?

i know on the smallblocks, with F17 you can shunt the box over, onto the subframe, for clearance.

is it the same deal on these, or does engine need to come out ?
everything looks bigger, so im not sure, ive changed several smallblock 17's like this before, but not a bigblock 23

cheers for any info

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a word, no. You would need to drop the subframe out of the way then drop the box to get at the clutch.
oh crap, haha.
alright, thanks mate. looks like ive got a bit a bit of a job on my hands, scrambling round on the floor.

im hoping i can get away with unbolting the passenger side of the subframe, and wedge it down, to give the box enough room to shunt across. if that doesnt work, ill be a bit stuck, with the limited (1 jack) tools i have. see how it goes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, for those of you, who want to know, it is possible yes, but its very tight.
i wedged a chunk of wood, about 60mm between the subframe and body, on gearbox side.
theres about 2mm of clearance, to slide the clutch out, and you have to remove the radiator fan, to get it out.
the release bearing is trcky, and you cant see half of it, so you have to remove/refit most of it by feel. 11mm open end spanner on the clutch line, and 3xT30 torx on the bearing.

it would have been easier to pull the engine out i think, but if you dont have a crane, and dont want to drop the subframe completely off, this is the way.

old ones toast.

i fitted a C20 clutch, which is supposed to be an upgrade, but there wasnt much spring load on the pressure plate,bolting it up. im not convinced.
it better work.
if it doesnt, and i have to do the whole job again, i might just hang myself.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Fair play!
The C20let clutch should be good for around 300ft/lb in the Astra so as long as the flywheel is OK you should be good. Worth taking it easy for a few hundred miles to give it chance to bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts