Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above, weve just fitted one to the nova. it feels really washed out, worse than the standard nova one TBH. anyone any ideas what may be wrong?

also as all cavalier linkages the same, inc the turbo one?

rodgerq

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
turbo one has a 6th number on the gear knob

what clip have you got holding it together at the selector end on top of the gearbox is it the sort that is two thin peices of metal joined together or is it the solid type.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I take it uve done the 3.4mm drill bit?

drives: like a saint too, nine points on mine. Did you know we are both part of the 3% of drivers in the uk who are one conviction from a ban.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
have you checked the shifter for play? They tend to wear around the ball and socket and rattle around, kevs is horrid.How worn is the std linkage in tha bay? I rosejointed mine cos it was ****e. its a 4.8mm drill bit in the box IIRC

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
the nova uses a direct linkage, the Cav ones are indirect, so will be less precise.

High mileage linkags are also much sloopier than new ones.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Hmm ... not what i want to hear !! I've got a Cally Shifter to go in mine, done a trial fit a while ago & it kinda felt ok, took all the play out the lever now & got a decent linkage with zero play so hopefully it'll be ok !?

Rich

·
Registered
327 Posts
alistairolsen said:
its a 4.8mm drill bit in the box IIRC
You may well be right.

My 87k nova linkage is awful compared to my mates 180000 mile sri cav. It does depend on the driving. I can see the play on my worn linkage, its the ball joint mounted near to the back of the bell housing thats got all the play.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
the nova stick in the car isnt actually that bad nrmaly apart from the push down reverse. Its the linkage on the box, which all fwd vauxhall share which is evil. I normally fit rosejoits and pins instead of the std plastic balljoints.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see i heard form nuymerous people that the cav one was better than the nova one. so there i go butchering the floor to get it to fit and NOW folk are saying its less precise that the standard nova one - this is not good.

done the setting up and i get all gears no problem but it feels like im changin gear into a boal of soup instead of a gearbox. i have noticed that the ball joint type thing where the level goes through the rod is a bit sloppy, thats probably where im gettint he p[lay from then :(

linkage on the box is ok but gen me up on the rose jointed one al, im interested in this myself- and perhaps replacing the cavy bal joint part with one aswell if possible.

pics etc?

rodgerq

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
change the stick for one from a mk4 astra or vectra

the ball at the bottom is made from a different material and doesnt wear out as readily

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aye Kev Al was tellin me about this. im gony have a look into this and see what i can see

rodgerq

·
Registered
319 Posts
Aragorn said:
change the stick for one from a mk4 astra or vectra

the ball at the bottom is made from a different material and doesnt wear out as readily
So tell me about this, can you use a Mk 4 Astra gear lever with a new standard nova gsi linkage, to make the shift thighter. As mine is like changing gear with cooked spaghetti

also can you buy rose joints for the standard nova gsi linkage,

any gen on quickshifts too.

thanks

jordan

·
MIGClub Member
15,237 Posts
Rodg - I reckon you must have a knackered shift lever. Ive thought on this myself & after having a couple GTE 16v & Cav GSi its a far better shift. If the linkage on the box is essentially the same accross the boxes then its gotta be the lever bushes etc. Maybe examine the lever for play & order the new bits rather than try another scrapyard part.

Cav GSi has shorter stick than GTE's in my experience. btw

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
have you got a bearing on the bulkhead where the rod goes through?? pretty important if you're going direct to the turret as the stock linkage usually gives the support needed at that end

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
naw it still retains the standard nova linkage on the box mount Lee.

rodgerq

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Mark T said:
the nova uses a direct linkage, the Cav ones are indirect, so will be less precise.

High mileage linkags are also much sloopier than new ones.
WTF, no it doesn't! Nova is indirect via a pivot arm just like the cavs are.

The only direct standard system I have seen is in the Astra mk2 GTE's

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you had tyhis setup didnt you Johnny? how did you find it?

rodgerq

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
yep, did this in SEF mk3, the difference was superb, lot tighter and shorter shift, also the shifter was in a natural position for my arm which made shifting much easier.

I did a little work to the shifter bearings in the housing, spaced the rubber out with electrical tape so it was a tight fit, also put a thin washer in the bottom pivot, no play ever!

John.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm never thought of electrical tape, i might give that a go before gettin another. the throw seems about the same as the nova on ours, maybe a bit more :eek:

rodgerq

1 - 20 of 38 Posts