Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any work on the rear brake shoes that are used for the handbrake? They use a small pin that has a philips screw head that pushes a spring against the shoe and then goes through a small hole behind it and twists so that it catches on the side and holds the shoe in place. I replaced the discs and when tapping them off the shoes pulled away because the holes the pins went in were rusty, as were the ends of the pins. I managed to get the pins back in and they held the shoes on but after I pulled on the handbrake I think they came off again because there are grinding squeaking noises from the back of the car. The handbrake still holds the car although I dont know if it'll go through the MOT.

So I have 2 problems,

1. The holes the pins go into are too rusty and have become bigger.
2. The end of the pins were rusty and have become too small for the holes (which are bigger than they are meant to be).

I went to Vauxhall to get some new pins thinking these may be big enough at the ends to hold the shoes to the hub. They no longer do these pins and the part has been replaced with a new pin with no philips head. Even if they did have the same pins the holes are probably going to be too big to hold them....

Has anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
can't you just replace the back plate?
if your gonna keep the car you might as well spend a little more to do it properly.
well thats what i'm doing... replacing the whole lot.

saves doing it later!
;)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to replace the back plate but looking at the EPC I'm not sure if this is a part that they sell? Did you manage to get a price or anything for them yet?

I'm going to nip down to Halfords just now.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
spoke to autovaux, they quoted about £17 each side.....
can't remember exact price but you can get them still

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats not so bad then. Might be a bit difficult to fit because I think the hub would have to come off?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just heard back about the MOT, it failed on the handbrake because there is too much travel on the handle, but passed on effort. There are 2 adjustments for this, one under the car about halfway down by tightening a bolt and one on each side of the car by winding the little winder thing inside the drum. Does anyone know offhand which way the winders need to go to save me taking the discs off? eg push down or up with a screw driver?

I'll get the back plates done at some point but MOT is more important right now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts