Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i got a cav turbo and i want to take the head off and potter about and make sure if anything needs replacing before the engine goes into my cav gsi. :)

What should i replace?

Piston seals?
what else.....?

Also I want to get a boost gauge and turbo timer (maybe) and something else that muppet told me to get but cant remember what it was...:( something to do with the turbo bit...:confused: to do something to it...????

Should i fit an intercooler? Di i take the chip out of the ecu thats in there if it not a uni chip? Should i buy a uni-chip if there isnt one in there??? Not sure what chip it is yet sozz gonna av a scan soon ...
ta adam

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
A UNIchip doesn't go in the ECU, its an external unit that plugs into the loom.

You don't need to replace the chip, the standard Vauxhall one makes the car very smooth.

Turbo Timers are a bit of a waste, just drive the car for a few minutes without red lining it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cemesis said:
A UNIchip doesn't go in the ECU, its an external unit that plugs into the loom.

You don't need to replace the chip, the standard Vauxhall one makes the car very smooth.

Turbo Timers are a bit of a waste, just drive the car for a few minutes without red lining it.
Do all chips go in along side the standard Vauxhall one? Or do some actually replace it?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Ok i got a cav turbo and i want to take the head off and potter about and make sure if anything needs replacing before the engine goes into my cav gsi.

What should i replace?
Depends on how old the engine is, but if your taking it apart and intend to up the BHP on the thing, then the following may help

1) new piston rings
2) new crank jounral bearing shells (seems that 1.7TD also fit = cheap)
3) new big end cap bearing shells
4) repair kit for oil pump (£15)
5) renew all oil seals and gaskets for the block
6) lighten flywheel (might as well since its all apart)
7) keep piston and rods as they are to keep costs down
8) ceramic coat the crowns (£35 per crown) to reduce cylinder temp
9) fit Z20LET metal gasket (£17)
10) clean valves, no need to change them, keeps cost down
11) can port and match the ports on the head
12) keep std cams or fit C20XE inlet = cheap mod. Or fit courtneay hi-torque cams for £175 exchange
13) again fit new head bolts, gaskets and oil seals etc
14) fit new engine rubber mounts
15) renew all hoses or buy silcon hose kit of turbo_chris for £160
16) fit phase kit with intercooler (or get custom made which can be chaeper)
17) fit dump valve
18) new or uprated clutch
19) new cambelts, fan belt, water pump and rollers
20) recon turbo charger, got mine done for £260
21) fit several gauges for peace of mind so know if anything is wrong

There....that should keep you busy for a while

·
Registered
117 Posts
alan,

surely u would be just as well replace the pistons rather than just coat them and do the rings ? whats the difference in price ?

slim

·
Registered
360 Posts
if there isnt anything wrong with the pistons there is no point in replacing them.

new pistons from vauxhall are about £70 per head, dont think they come with rings though

·
Registered
360 Posts
id seriously have the injectors cleaned, its all people seem to ay blows their engine up. worth the 25 quid or however much it is

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Seems we forgot, valve stem oil seals, maybe new valve springs. Might as well do it properly and get new core plugs for the head after cleaning out the oil and water way galleries.

If you are gonna get it ported check the deck height is even and the valve spring seats are equal to.

Chris

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
slimshady said:
alan,
surely u would be just as well replace the pistons rather than just coat them and do the rings ? whats the difference in price ?
If there isn't anything wrong with them (ie all in spec, no damage, not oval etc) then you might as well keep them. They don't actually wear out, its the pistons rings that wear. If you going for BIG BHP then you can replace them for uprated items. C20LET are all forged as std.

id seriously have the injectors cleaned, its all people seem to ay blows their engine up. worth the 25 quid or however much it is
Opps, good point, I forgot about that.
Typically £15 per injector + VAT.
You might also like to fit a bigger fuel pump (not cheap mind, 909 is about £100), renew the fuel filter (£20) and have a good look at the fuel lines becasue they will be supply a lot more fuel. So a bad/damaged/squashed/rusty fuel rail/pipe may need replacing before it bursts.

Seems we forgot, valve stem oil seals, maybe new valve springs.
My valve stem oil seals were 70p ea (£13 total) from www.autovaux.co.uk

I'm keeping my valve springs and valves. Just cleaning it all up and taking apart the hydraulic tappets and rebuilding them again making sure they don't lcok up again (ie noisy tappets).

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
feck me!!! :eek: what would i do wothout u guy's knowledge man!

how much is it gonan cost me to do all this ****??? :confused: :(

cheers again guys u da guys :D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
> how much is it gonan cost me to do all this ****???

very difficult to say, all depends on how far you want to go. You'll eaisly get cought up with the rebuild of things and you see uprated parts which are only a bit dearer, so you think "its only £40 more for that part" etc. Bfore you know it, you've spent £1000's.

So far I spent £3000.
Thats includes the C20LET+F28 I bought and tools (about £300 worth). I've still haven't bought all the parts I need for a rebuild yet!

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
****! :eek: :rolleyes: hmm i think il just ignore the looking period when io take engine out and just fit the engine as it is :D :rolleyes: its running fine from hearing it sozzz....but dont know what the boost is running like cause i aint got a boost gauge as of yet....:( whioch gauge should i get and how do i plug it into the turbo orwhatever i have to do?

cheers :beer:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
> 5 pin diag plug behind the relay box

look at the how2 section in www.cavweb.co.uk, there is a guide there with pictures.

You'll easily spend £500 odd on rebuild parts like gaskets, seals, rings, new bolts, washers etc when you put the engine back to gether.

·
Registered
117 Posts
alan,

thats my point. where does it all stop ?? uve spent over 3k already and u still have not finished.surely for that money u would have been better buying a new let ?. i remember there was a posting on here a week or two ago from a guy stating that he could get brand new let from vauxhall for 1.5k . would this not be a better route ? im in the middle of this myself and its causing me a bit of a dilema. your advice is appreciated.

slim

·
Registered
713 Posts
The £1.5k lump from vauxhall is a 'SHORT' engine. A complete engine from vaux trade is around £2.5k. I can get them from an engine builders in Bath called Hurley Engineering. They reckon they supply vaux anyway????They are about £2k trade from these people, but once you have bought this you still have to buy all the ECU, loom, Rad etc. so it will mount up to some pretty serious money and the engine is still completely standard and wont be able to run much more bhp. It makes going out and buying a LET complete with all ancillaries for around £800 and then spending £2k on rebuilding/upgrading to be able to run serious power sound cheap doesnt it?:beer:

Slimshady, i almost went that route because all the LETs i came across were alot of money and i wanted to rebuild anyway so i couldnt justify paying that sort of money if it was gona be ripped apart and all changed. Thats why i thought about buying brand new, but i think you will have to re-mortgage if you do.:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts