Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a pair of the cav 1.6 bigblock inner cv's to clip onto nova gte shafts to fit an f20 gearbox.
Dave

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
xe in gte

i'm sure the cv's you need are an off the shelf item at partco, so i assume most other motor factors should also be able to supply them, (probably with some sort of guarantee) just dont tell them what there being used for!
With the valver lump, just make sure you sort out some decent brakes ie: 16v stuff is quite good, shocks and springs are definate upgrade, u will need some uprated springs to cope with the extra weight, whilst you engine bay is bare, get it strengthened as its better to do it now, or u will see cracks appearing in places you wouldnt expect or want, also whilst the engine is out, you will need to modify the inner wing, around where the alternator will sit, again big engine little room, i cut a bit out and welded in a new bit to allow clearance, you can just beat the wing a little, which does work but isn't the best option. the bottom pulley, get someone to machine off the power steering pulley( this scrapes on the bottom of the wing), heater matrix pipes need cutting back by at least 10mm or you might experience over heating problems whilst accelerating hard (which will be more often than none) hope thats some help

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i local parts shop near me do them for £55 a pair:D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jonlem-Ive done most of the stuff you mention,just gotta do the inner wing thing,cant decide weather to beat the wing or cut n weld.
What exact year and model inner cv's do i ask for as partco will surely ask questions and i dont wanna have to go back to change em as ive no car at the mo.
Dave

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
cv's

I'm still exactly sure myself which ones they are, We used Mann shafts in the 2 litre we done, but i'm a little skint so i'm going to risk using the cav cvs on the turbo one, I think maybe one thing that plays a big fault with snapping shafts is the driveshaft angle, even on my 1.6 with a 60mm drop the driveshafts dont look great, just keep an eye on how low u go, and i'll let u know how we get on with ours!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guy- id take you up on that offer but offers like that are always miles away!

Is it ANY mk2 cav 1.6 or do some have f13 small block boxes and some have f16 big block boxes.

Jonlem- when you went in for them was there any confusion etc?
Whay about autovaux? Are they likely to know what i need if i tell them what im doing?
Dave

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
its not cavy sri 130 inners. its 1.6 mk cavy ones. ive got it written down that ones from an f plate will do but id check that out. best bet is to go into your local motor factors or similar and ask then for the mk2 cavy inners they have. take one of each sort out and count the splines(inside ones) and make sure theres 22.

rodgerq

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
its the cav mk2 1600, coz they had the big block gearbox.

I made a mistake in my previous post, there £50 each new

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I phoned autovaux the other day and told them what i was doing.
He knew exactly the ones i needed and sent two off to me,which i now have,they cost £48 each.
For future reference it says on the box:-

INNER C.V. JOINT
VAUX ASTRA 1600 1984 ONWARDS.
CAV 1.6/1.8/2.0 1984 ONWARDS

Ive tried them on and they fit my 22 spline nova GTE shafts,and the F20 gearbox.
Dave

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
nice one mate. that'll settle it then as it seems a big ambiguos as to which ones are the correct ones.

cheers

rodgerq

1 - 12 of 12 Posts