Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya's,
My bro was a welder til recently when he moved back to my area he ended up taking a well paid quarry job

Now i had several plans i had done for car rotisseries
We got sifting through them and he picked the best design (though he did say all i had done were fine to use :) )

Anyways he wants out of the quarry and back to a welding job

What i am trying to gauge is the interest if he was to make some

Also if people like yourselves would like to hire them for weekly/fortnightly/monthly rates (terraced rates accordingly) though this would mean a deposit but we could deliver/errect/collect the units (included in any final price)

Would anyone be interested ??

If there's some interest after i've finished the prototype this week i can cost materials etc and then have a 3 model type eg:

Basic = Rota where you lift/chuck/crane a shell into position
Medium = Rota as above but on wheels for moving
Top Line = Rota with pumps to lift/lower shell and wheels for moving

At last guesstimate the basic would be in ballpark of £200-£230
Medium guesstimate £250-£270
Top Line guesstimate £375-£450

These are rough guesses on costs of steel we quickly added up and a few quid for welding consumables

My bro would be tigging and i would do the cutting and tacking and also the hydraulic side of things

As i say just trying to gauge interest as after i've used the prototype on my valver shell we will do a full bore sellable version that would have a warranty etc and maybe a choice of finishing colours

Well Have Fun

Ciao

Def

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
need pics / sketchs.
i saw once, a set of skates that bolted to the wheels then you could roll the car on its side,is there any plans for that?
i'll do a pic so you get the jist.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Very handy to have if you restore a fair few cars. If i had the space i'd have one,unfortunatly i dont even have a garage big enoug to fit a car in.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rs1,
My garages are too narrow too :(

I have talked my sisters soon to be ex-husband into letting me use his driveways :)

Ciao

Def

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have little actual experience of these but a few questions come to mind:

1) What happens to all the fluids e.g. petrol, coolant, washer when you roll the vehicle? Don't they leak?
2) Doesn't this design put a lot of strain on the two wheel hubs and suspension?
3) What stops the car rolling right over like a dog 'playing dead'?
4) How do you roll the car over and back again? On some vehicles, the centre of gravity might be too high or too low to balance properly.

I'm not knocking your project because I think the basic idea is good. It may just need fine tuning.

I have seen a similar idea from Germany where the frame stays still and the car rotates within it. Rotation is helped by what is basically a large lever that you pull and lock once the car is in position.

I wish you all the best with this!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
intikab said:
I have little actual experience of these but a few questions come to mind:

1) What happens to all the fluids e.g. petrol, coolant, washer when you roll the vehicle? Don't they leak?
2) Doesn't this design put a lot of strain on the two wheel hubs and suspension?
3) What stops the car rolling right over like a dog 'playing dead'?
4) How do you roll the car over and back again? On some vehicles, the centre of gravity might be too high or too low to balance properly.

I'm not knocking your project because I think the basic idea is good. It may just need fine tuning.

I have seen a similar idea from Germany where the frame stays still and the car rotates within it. Rotation is helped by what is basically a large lever that you pull and lock once the car is in position.

I wish you all the best with this!
i think his idea is like a engine stand but for a shell. my idea is a full working car, i saw a golf being worked on ,on a website but can't find it again, with the sort of half roll over as i drew in the pic, obviously fluids need to be drained, and yes some strain on the hubs , the legs extend past the roof line so it can't roll any further (play dead)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya's,
These are for shells

EG: Removed = Engine/Rear Beam/Wheels/Seats/Tank/Front suspension but it could cope with htese left in situ/Fluids drained from remaining objects

For a whole car rotation system your looking at lots of money and fixings and also prolly cheaper buying a 2k lift and working underneath etc

All's that will be left on my car as i rotate it to weld/seal/paint will be sunroof/brakelines/fuel lines so basicly a shell

Never seen a rotation device for a whole car (for sale i mean)

Idea of these are you can strip a car to a shell and set to repairing/sealing/painting with ease

Also i can't figure out why anyone would want a fully loaded car to be rotated as what would be the point ?

These are purely to make the shell easy to get to/repair/prep/bring to almost new state

Have Fun

Ciao

Def

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Deffy said:
Hiya's,

Also i can't figure out why anyone would want a fully loaded car to be rotated as what would be the point ?

Ciao

Def
for concourse boys and chav's who want a shiney clean/painted maintained underside ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hiya lee,
What i meant was the rotators are a cheaper alternative to a four leg car lift approx 2k cheaper lol
Using them you can get a shell up to an immaculate finish inside and out with the minimum of effort

To get an older shell to concourse condition would anyone rotate a fully loaded car and work around everything attached ??? of course not, that aint getting a car to concourse condition that's patching/bodging ;) kinda like trying to paint calipers with wheel on lol

If a car is all sorted to concourse/shiney clean/painted condition the last thing i would want is to put a strain on the shell with everything attached
Crikey take the engine mounts !!! they would feel a damn strain/stress with a car being rotated lol

A concourse car i would fork out 2k + for a damn safe car lift and admire the concourse condition that way no way would i dream of rotating it lol

Ciao

Def

1 - 11 of 11 Posts