Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is visibly lower on one side thant the other (MK2 Astra), and there is more of a gap between the top of the wheel and the curve of the arch on one side than on the other. Does this mean somethings ****ed, if so, what????
Andy
P.S. I had some 16 inch wheels on for about a month now, could this have caused any problems as I know they are not the right offset , i think they are et37.
HELP.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It sounds like you have a broken spring. Jack up the lower side and have a look, it's usually pretty obvious.

I can't see how the wheels could have affected the suspension in that way even on a low offset.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
I used to be paranoid about my car being a bit higher one side than the other. When you check it's got to be on an absolute level surface, not the driveway or street. What sort of height difference have you got.

Could be loads of things, like springs, shocks, bent suspension parts, bent anti roll bar etc

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Is it just a rumour that cars are naturally made a snitch higher on the kerb side to combat the camber on roads ?? I thought this was the case, well anyway my old cav was higher on the kerb side, it was A1 structurally.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got about 5mm difference (5mm higher on passeneger side), but after havinf a look, the passenger side shock is actually sticking out of the strut coz i can see the top of it, but i can't on the drivers side, waht does this mean?
Andy

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Yeah it means the ring nut holding the shock inside the strut is loose, if it comes right undone the spring will fall out the car will be about 3 inches higher afterwards, and if your travelling at any speeds you will without a doubt crash after veering off the road.

This ring nut is the only thing holding the spring in, and even if the weight is taken off the car there is still ****loads of pressure compressing the spring down.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right. I've visually (i.e. quickly) checked the two ring nuts in the engine bya that hold on the struts or shocks (not sure which) and both are are really well greased up, shiny & tight. Actually they look brand new!!!!!
So where does this leave us guys. Lets re-cap.

1, Car higher by approx. 4-5mm on passenger side of car.
2, Shock visibly sticking out of strut on passneger side of car (approx 4-5mm)
3, Both nuts in engine bay secure.

What now?

Andy

·
Registered
870 Posts
All / most Astra's (most Vauxhalls probably) will sit 'on the piss' this is down to Vauxhall manufacturer tolerances, 5mm is will within their spec.

Most well built racing cars will have all the suspension points removed and refitted to 'blue print' specs.

Not alot you can do apart from fit adjustable height coilovers all round, expensive and tricky(ish) on an Astra, or hand it to someone like Tim Ashton Motorsport in Castleford with a blank cheque.

But go through the checks everyones saying first.

Steven.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Ring nuts arent in the engine bay mate, they are the big gold nuts ontop of the struts tubed section (viewed from in the wheel arch). You said in an older reply that you could see the shock absorber sticking out the top of the strut. Or when you said sticking out of the strut do you mean the amount of thread visible above the cup/turret in the engine bay ???

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
I have just mesured mine out of curiosity and it is the same both sides. Question is, on standard wheels and tyres (195/65/14) what is the correct standard hight?

Any one know as mine is sitting 630mm road to bottom of the wheel arches at the front.

Just wondering......

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay lets clear this up. I may have lead a few of you to believe the wrong thing.
Right, if you look inside the wheel arch, there a tube coming down, yes. I think this is the strut,
correct me if i'm wrong (please do coz I'm guessing here). The shock sits inside this strut. Here' swhere I lose my way a bit. Inside the engine bay, on top of the wheel arch, inside a rubber thingy, there's a big gold nut on a bolt which comes in through the wheel arch(same both sides). What does it hold on???

the bit i said i could see sticking out, was the bottom of the shock protruding from the strut in the wheel arch (behind the wheels), looks like it has a big nut of some sort on it (weird shaped), sticking out by a bout 5mm but not visible on drivers side. Is this the "ring Nut"?

Help me!
Andy

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
You should treat your self to a Haynes manual. Covering virtually all amkes and models of car, the one for the MK2 Astra is one of the best.

Full of tips and advice, each section shows a step by step strip down of the parts in question along wigh clear photographs and artwork showing you the assembled section and an exploded view, one of which is shown below for review purposes...

on the assembled diagram the ring nut can be seen in the middle of the coil spring

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.