Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'v been having a breathing problem with my Cally Turbo, when idelling i sometimes got a small amount of white smoke from the exhaurst. Someone told me it might be the one-way air value on the small breather hose from the cam cover to the inlet manifold, had a look at found it was knackerd and disconneted :rolleyes: So got a new one from vauxhalls, installed it, was fine untill the next day when it was ideling on my drive and loads of smoke started pouring from the exhaurst! :eek: i popped the bonnet (with it still running) took off the pipe and it stopped strate away :confused: Took it down the road with the pipe still off and ever time the turbo powered up loads of white smoke again! :eek: pulled over and reconnected the pipe and it stopped! and has been fine for 2 days now with no smoke at all WTF!

This got me thinking, why is the large breather hose from the cam cover connected to the turbo anyway?? on the c20xe people vent this pipe to a cachment tank (or sprite bottle :) ) Can i do this with the c20LET you think?? i think pressure build up is forcing oil down the breather hose to the turbo :(

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The Let does not really suffer from breathing problems due to the turbo pulling all the fumes and gasses through fromthe rocker Cover. However If you think it is a Breathing problem, Try the breather Mod as shown in January's issue of TV. I done this to my calibra just before i got rid of it. However i only done the mod because i had the rocker cover off to change it for a Powder coated one. However the car was using loads of fuel before i done the mod and strangely after i done it the fuel consumption improved Greatly. (all bee it, It may have been co-incidence. I do not know LOL)

any way if you do not have January's issue then here is a Quick run down.

You can Buy the Splash Guard pre-Fabricated from Courtenay Sport or like me you can make it yourself.

TV January 04 said:
Step-by-step.

1. Remove the spark plug cover by removing the two 5mm allen bolts. ake sure all your spark plug leads are Numbered (Vauxhall ones arepre-numbered) and put them safely to one side.

2. Loosen the jubilee clips on all 3 breather pipes connected to the cam cover, and remove the pipes, Clean all the pipes out internally with a degreasant and a cleaning brush.

3. Remove all 20 of the 5mm allen bolts that secure the cam cover.

4. Lift off the cam cover and turn it upside down and a clean Flat surface (Work-ench). Now remove the baffle plate, which is held by TP25 torex-headed screws. Clean and remove every trace of silicone from the cam cover and the baffle plate.

5. Degrease and wash the cam cover and baffle plate. making sure you clean the J-shaped inlet pipe on the baffle plate with a small brush or piece of welding rod or similar.

6. You need to make your splash Guard. If you bought one you can skip this step. you need a sheet of alloy or stainless steel (Mild steel will rust.) about 2mm thickness First measure the inside of the cam cover on the cam Pulley side, between the the centre core and the outer wall.

Next cut your Metal Plate to this Width. Second measure the width of the centre core and add 4 mm
Next Put the baffle plate back in place and measure the height between the baffle plate and the top of the centre core.

Double up the height and add the lengh and the extra 4mm on and cut your metal plate to this length.
Place your metal into a vice and bend it into a L shape to give the Right Height required, you now need to bend the Metal Plate into a U shape ensuring all the measurements are used.

7. Mark the baffle plate with a felt pen along the same lines as the centre channel, and remove the baffle plate and put your new splash guard on top it should overlap by 2mm either side of the marks you just made, turn upside down keeping the splash guard in place. and draw around the semi-circle and screw hole with the felt pen.

8. Cutout the semi-circle with a grinder or hacksaw, then put on a piece of wood and drill the hole just big enough for the torex screw to go through. Put the splash guard back into the cam cover and decide the best position for the two breather holes, (i.e. not too close to the edges.) and mark with felt pen. Drill both these holes with the same drill bit you used to drill the allen bolt hole, again on a piece of wood. Next allign the splash guard back on top of the baffle plate and use the felt pen to mark the two holes you just drilled.
and then drill these holes with the same size drill again on a piece of wood. Change the drill bit for a 12.5mm bit and drill out the 4 pilot holes you just made, (Make sure you do not drill the hole for the allen screw.)
file around all the edges.

9. time to re-assemble, you do noth have to use sillicone but should you decide to, make sure it can withstand high temperatures and is suitable for use with oil. and make sure you wipe away all excess sillicone. and re-assembel in reverse order making sure you use a new cam cover gasket.

10. start the engine and check you have no oil leaks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers [email protected] for the info :beer: :beer: looks like it might be worth a shot.

The white smoke is oil releated, its not water vapor or anything, my mates

cossie gets it from time to time when he realy boots it then comes off then

throttle. Don't think its the seals as i'm getting wet oil residue in the pipe

before and after the turbo, so makes me think oil beather hose :confused: I

might do this mod and get all new hoses from Turbo Chris and see what

happens :rolleyes:

Cheers for the help. :beer:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
0ddball said:
blue smoke is oil related. white is water.
Well its is white not blue. Oil does give off white smoke if it burns off a hot

surface, i know this when the sump on my old Astra started leaking onto my

hot exhaurst manfold, started getting puffs of white smoke out the back. I

think it goes blue when its mixed with air/fuel mix and iginited (worn rings for

instance) but not sure on that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something like that lmao

It might be making its way through the turbo waste

gate :confused: dosn't this then bypass the combustion chamber all togeater

and goes strate out the exhaust?

(getting technical now :D )

0ddball said:
oh ok, so its making its way through the inlet manifold, through the combustion chamber and them burning off the inside of the exhaust ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.