Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
stt said:
Plus if its good enough for a Lotus Carlton, It'll be fine on the Cally
maybe a bit late, but I've always thought LC's used a 3.45 ratio diff... :confused:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
king nero said:
maybe a bit late, but I've always thought LC's used a 3.45 ratio diff...
Hiya m8. Not sure what ratio the LC uses but the diff I used was out of an Ex police senator 3.0 24v and was a Git to find the right one as not all the 24v use the 3.7o ratio, I think Stt got slightly confused :) .

rob_lee_1 said:
awesome matey!
Cheers Rob :beer:

Classic said:
My favorite thread at this forum needs a picture, and possible a film, update!!!!
FatLadZ said:
yea an update would be nice :)
Aww shocks your too kind :eek: .Hi ya Fatz Long time no post :eek: . unfortunately nothing to update at the moment. Finances and time have all been going elsewhere for the last year :( . However it will change, the one thing I can gurantee is that I won't be selling it or breaking it for spares as seems to have happened to so many other projects. I'll try and get it into work and up in the air so I can at least update the thread with the final picture of the new exhaust routing etc. and (i'm not promising) but i'll see if i can get some vid with audio so you can get an idea of how the new system sounds.

It will rise again ........

·
Registered
111 Posts
more questions about the driveshafts.

I'm planning on fitting the same reardiff as yours;

Is the shaft length the same as standard?

I still hope to use some standard shafts,
and wondering if senator/carlton ones will fit if I use lower arms off a senator/carlton.
Then the should be no flangeproblem at least.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
more questions about the driveshafts.

I'm planning on fitting the same reardiff as yours;

Is the shaft length the same as standard?

I still hope to use some standard shafts,
and wondering if senator/carlton ones will fit if I use lower arms off a senator/carlton.
Then the should be no flangeproblem at least.
Hi M8 sorry i have not answered your question sooner, I never seem to have time to get on MIG anymore :( . The drive shafts are shorter than the original cally turbo ones as the senator rear diff is wider than the cally diff. Also the rear lower arms off the senator are larger than the cally ones. You could make them fit by cutting off the callys mountings for the rear arms and making up new mountings. Even then though the standard senator shafts will be too long.

Will the whole Senator or Carlton rear subframe fit on the calibra?
hi ya, unfortunately no the senator rear subframe uses different mounting locations so won't fit. Well I say that anything will fit with enough modifications but you would have to alter the fuel tank, floor pan etc etc. also the rear track on the Senator is wider so the wheels would stick out of the arches by at least 1 1/2 inches on each side.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Well I finaly got the cally into work yesterday and got a couple of photo's of the underneath all finished with new exhaust system (no vid' i'm afraid). The photo's aren't the best quality as the workshop door was next to the ramp and the sun coming through has overexposed them. It felt fantastic to drive it again and it deffinately made me fall back in love with it, gotta get some more cash now ..... :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Well all I can say is :D :D :D :D :D Awesome 4 wheel power slider and when you pull away it feels like being shot out of a bungee ball. There is this weird sensation because there is no lift from the front as your pulled forward or wind up in the rear as your pushed. It just stays level and launches.

As for the system, the guys at A44 did a top notch job on it again :beer: . This is the 3rd time thay have remade it for me :eek: . I tried it for noise using a mild steel system and the scooby back box when it was 2wd, then they remade that in stainless for me and this time remade it again to run past the prop. Theyv'e made me promise not to change it again lmao

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Cheers mattcoupturbo, The last time it was rolling roaded it was putting out 310 bhp and 286 lbft. Which makes for great fun. I've got loads of plans still in my head to run more but in reality I don't think I will ever have enough cash to do half of what I would like to.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
I would space out the centre prop bearing, Quite a bend on that.........
Hiya Zaff' thanks for the input, it was something that I had to put a lot of thought into when I was routing the prop. The lesser of 2 evils sort of thing. The panoramic photo does makes it look worse then it is due to the distortion in the photo however that bearing is mounted in a flexible rubber disc so the bearing isn't taking any extra load and the prop joint imediately after is well within its angular operating tolerances. The rubber disc will take some more abuse then normal and will wear out quicker than standard but it will still last long time befor I need to change it :) .

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Looks very impressive, and not much clearance between the prop and the exhaust.

Seriously cool though, very nice. :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Cheers :beer: JackS . Yup it's all a bit tight for space but nothing rubs or knocks :) Although I must get round to wraping the exhaust to prevent it causing any heat damage.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts