Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well some of you know and some of you may not, but I have been planning converting my 2WD cally into a AWD tarmac shredder for a while now.

Previous post of parts being fitted :Wohoo! Got the last bits to finish my car today

Well I started it today, All the seats, carpets and soundproofing are out (so I can weld in the prop mounts without anything catching fire... hopefully).

Removed the exhaust system complete

Recut the threads for the rear driveshafts

Disconected all the brake lines, fuel lines, handbrake cable etc.

Removed the rear subframe assy

Offered up the Senator rear LSD.......... Bugger. Breather pipe on top of the diff is further back. o.k. No probs I thought drilled out clearence hole. :cool: :

Offered up the Senator rear LSD.......... Bugger! Bolt holes line up but diff casing is taller. Found some new longer bolts (same strength rating) and cut some spacers from a steel bar on the lathe.

Offered up the Senator rear LSD.......... Bugger!! End casing (where it mounts on the Senator) is longer and won't clear the fuel tank! Spent the next hour progresively cutting more and more of it away.

Note. I now have a nice big hole in the end plate :( but a mate of mine is an ally welder and is picking it up tommorow to plate the hole for me.
But it now clears the fuel tank :D

Once I get the diff cover back, Should be about 11.00 in the morning. I can refit the rear subframe etc. and start on the front. More piccies to follow

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stt said:
is the rear diff ratio on the senator LSD the same as that on the cally front diff?
Depends on the model of Senator ;) . It has to be from a 3.0 24v (and not all of these are LSD although they are supposed to be). It can't be the estate version as it has a different ratio of 3.9/1. It has to be from the salloon which is a 3.7/1 ratio.

WeeKenny said:
brilliant :D its good to see some new ways of doing things
Cheers chap :) , thought up the idea about 3 years ago, but couldn't afford the bits and its been a right bugger finding the senator diff :rolleyes:

GazTaylor said:
Dude, just outta interest, why ya doing that ;)
;) :beer:

spanishfly said:
You using the VX TX box?
CalibraKicksCav said:
He's using a VTS locked box :eek:
Yup thats right its a VTS box going in. Had a big discussion on here about the pro's and cons' of the VTS box. If you can make it to the end of the thread it is a good read. http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=181761

CalibraKicksCav said:
That's some serious modding :beer:
:beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Administrator
61,449 Posts
this will show i know nothing of rwd,but...
why use the Senator rear LSD,why not just cally turbo stuff?
then its a stright swap surely...much easyer?
ben

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
my guess would be that a LSD for a cally turbo would be a lot more than the £100-£150 you can pick up a senny one for!

Plus if its good enough for a Lotus Carlton, It'll be fine on the Cally

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
top marks for engineering and the "have a go" attitude, but why would you not start with a 4x4 in the first place ? a cheap turbo with lunched tx box or similar ?

the carlton diff is a cool idea, they are plate diffs right ?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
0ddball said:
top marks for engineering and the "have a go" attitude, but why would you not start with a 4x4 in the first place ? a cheap turbo with lunched tx box or similar ?

the carlton diff is a cool idea, they are plate diffs right ?
Yup, the senator diff is a plate type LSD and a lot stronger.

As for the starting with a 4x4, well thats mainly due to the fact I first bought my cally 7 years ago when I was working at VX. I Then waxoyled inside and out of all the box sections so there is no rot in it. Also their there is so much extra wiring in it for the ice, and then the alarm. Also its only done 56k from new so scraping my shell and using a 4WD one was not an option.

Mazz said:
Wow, nice project dude. Any ideas when it we will see at a WM meet?
Coming to a meet near you soon :D

Anyway I'm afraid there is not much progress today as I've spent most of the day at my mums with my sister and brother (who is visiting from Sweeden). So all I've got done was to clean up and paint the rear diff casing and diff after weldiing and fit it back together.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts