Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just bought a C20XE to use in a westfield.
The problem is it's got the head off at the moment. It also has all the pulleys off.

This wouldn't be a problem, except that the engine has come with Kent Vernier pulleys, which have no TDC marking on them.

And now you see my problem

Can someone give me some help to get the cam timing correct.
Obviously I can get the crank to TDC, but the camshaft positions are really gonna confuse me. Is there a diagram somewhere that will show me the orientation of both camshafts at TDC?

Cheers

:confused: :confused:
DC

·
Registered
355 Posts
At TDC there will be a little lift on both inlet and exhaust valves on number 4 cylinder , the cam lobe centre for the inlet cam when viewed from the front of the engine should be pointing in an approximate 2 o'clock position and should be *just* opening the inlet valve, the exhaust cam should be a mirror of the inlet, I.E. pointing at an approximate 10 o'clock position such that the valve is *nearly* closed.

Dave.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, Just wanna double check that by 2 o'clock you mean that the centre line of the cam (from the centre of the shaft to the tip of the cam) points at 60 degree to the vertical, and 10 o'clock means 300 degrees from vertical.

Front of the engine is the pulley end? I ask cos obviously in the Vauxhall cars the engine is mounted for FWD, hence the front is the exhaust port side. But in the westy the front is the Pully end.

Cheers

DC

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
I know its not anywhere near 100% accurate but on cam belt end of the camshafts are pins on which the cam sprockets locate, these will both be uppermost, or at midnight if you like, when the camshafts are lined up to the cam timing marks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oddball, I was wondering about those.
Now, would I be right in saying that my camshaft (a Kent Cam Shaft) will have those pins in the same position as the original shaft?

Common sense would say yes, but after Kent told me that they didn't put TDC marks on their pulley, I lost all faith in common sense lmao

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

DC

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
one would think so.

is the pulley one of those allen clamp ones, or does it have pegs ? My old vernier had a guage and pointer on the inner half of the pulley, ZERO was exactly inline with the stnadard cam sprocket timing mark.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
point of reference, on the inlet cam, when the pin is uppermost, the first cam for the 1st valve at the cambelt end is almost horizontal, the tip pointing straight at the bulkhead.

you also have daves reference.

EDIT

Hangon, these are direct replacement camshafts, so theyd have to have the pin in the same position so you can use the stock pulleys. Otherwise youd be forced to buy verniers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't joke, It's bloody tempting :eek: .

Last thing I wanna do is mash up me valves the first time I start the bloody thing.

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
wasnt really a joke, if you dont feel confident doing the timing then either sort someone else out to fit them or dont use them. are they fancy cams too? clearance will be even less.
could get a pair sent to ya if you really want :beer:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't know the spec of the cams, but to be honest I know some people who know a fair bit about engines, and one who could probably do this with a blindfold on.

When I bring the engine up here (I'm in Warwick, Engine is currently in London) I'll get him to have a look and he'll do it no problems at all.

But, if you can find a free (ish) set of standard cams and pulleys I'd def take'm:D

DC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, next question is:

Where can I order a Kent CamBelt ( CB11) for the C20XE?

Preferably online and fast.

Cheers

DC

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
check out SBDs website for some good instructions on cam timing - if you can find the specs for lift at TDC for your kent sticks then you're all set.

www.sbdev.co.uk

don't want to scaremonger - but if you're on standard pistons you want to make sure you get it spot on :)

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
Gary said:
don't want to scaremonger - but if you're on standard pistons you want to make sure you get it spot on :)
ach ya big jessie, i am just lobbing mine in on standard pulleys lmao

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't suppose anyone here has a spare set of standard cam pulleys that I could borrow for reference?

DC

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
If it's a pre 93 engine I've got a pair of standard pullies you can buy of me - then you can keep them if you don't wanna use the verniers.

PM me with an offer if you're interested. - not after a lot for them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have some orignal pulleys now, so I'll make some permanent TDC marks on my verniers and one with it.

A slightly different question now....how many head to block dowels are there?

Cheers

DC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts