Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the valver nova for a test drive today, and had the following problems:

Lumpy idle, going anywhere from about 600 to 1300 rpm, this could be the icv, have not cleaned it yet;

Misfiring/hesitating from 1000 to 2000 rpm, and above 4000 rpm on full throtle. If I accelerate gently, it'll rev normally up to the limiter.

The engine has a KN cone filter, powercap, no ECU codes, new fuel filter, new plugs. Was running fine until a few days ago, when it ran out of fuel. Also, the exhaust center box is on the rotten side, could this have any effect?
Any gen? :confused:

Thanx! :beer:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pump is working fine, and the filter is new, what else could be causing fuel starvation?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lee, the car has been indoors for the past few days, as we've been working on it. If it was the dizzy cap why would it only do it on full throttle?
Can it be related to the fact that the car hasn't been running much and only for short runs?

L

·
0 Posts
The dizzy cap gets damp and when its under load it needs a bigger spark and it doesnt get one.

Try cleaning/drying it and see if that helps

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
do what lee said. also check for contact wear in dizzy and the wear on the rotor arm. check plug gaps and HT leads, could be loosing compression.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, will check cap/arm tomorrow. Plugs are new, but I'll see if they're dirty anyway. How do I check the leads? Any more ideas, keep'em coming!

Thanx! :beer: :beer:

·
91,273 Posts
you might have sucked crap into the injectors when it ran out of petrol, as as at hight revs it wants more petrl, it might not be getting it?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Theres a few ways of checking the leads, but i wouldn't advise it.
You could connect a strobe to each one to see if theres any electrical pulse running through the.
Definately clean ICV and check for any air leaks i.e. pipes loose/not connected properly, splits in truncated hoses etc.

·
91,273 Posts
Get a mate and hold onto his wrist.
With the engine running fiddle with the leads.
If your mate screams at any point your leads are screwed!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
i was going to advise something like that, but it's quite dangerous. Have something 2 insulate in your hand and pull each one out of the dizzy cap and replace back accordingly. each one that you do, look and observe the behaiour of the engine. if the revs drop when removing one, u know that THAT particular lead is working. If it doesn't affect the behaviour of the engine, then u know that one/they are knackered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts