Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have an original C20XE engine but it seems the available remap on DTA doesn't give her enough fuel and sounds very clunky. Any suggestions as to what I should tweak on the software or even a remap file I could use?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Before doing anything else, check the fuel pressure you currently have, and the fuel pressure the mapping you have specifies. Then check the injector spec's ditto.
The OEM C20XE uses two* different rail pressures, and injectors, and if you have a mis-match you WILL have issues.

*Early dissy 2.5 bar and cream, later coilpack 3.0 bar and blue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Relayed your message to my dad and he says he remembers you helping him out on the red top years ago lol! Had a go messing around with the map but she just doesn’t seem to want to go! Weirdest bit is that she was running beautifully a week ago and has slowly been degenerating since so we’re beginning to think something detrimental has happened mechanically.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Relayed your message to my dad and he says he remembers you helping him out on the red top years ago lol! Had a go messing around with the map but she just doesn’t seem to want to go! Weirdest bit is that she was running beautifully a week ago and has slowly been degenerating since so we’re beginning to think something detrimental has happened mechanically.
Haha, that was my second comment in several years*. If the vehicle was fine and has just started to play up, it is unlikely to be an ECU/tuning problem - a partially blocked fuel filter may give the symptom of 'leaning out', as may a faulty booster diaphram, or anything else that could introduce air. Other things could be the TPS coming loose and throwing off the ECU, bad senders/sensors, etc. I'd suggest at least going back to the mapping it was using before the problem started, as otherwise you're just complicating things and potentially introducing several other problems. Oh, has anything unusual appeared in the logging?

That said, it could certainly be something mechanical from the "clunky" which I took to meaning running very rough? Usually if it is mechanical, it will be quite sudden, rather than over a period of time, but not always. Without actually being 'hands on' it's very difficult to say what, if any, that is down to and I'd suggest starting from the basics.

If there mechanical noise - if so, avoid running the engine if possible and investigate that first? Was it worse as load and/or rpm was increased - that would suggest bottom end? Was it relatively constant in volume level and increase with rpm - that would suggest valve train? Drain the oil and check for metallic debris, cut the filter open and check for debris in the element - both those suggest bearing, or other, damage?

If there's no noise, check compressions, and fuel and oil pressures if possible.

I expect, if you just take a step back and have a mental review of things, you'll have a "doh" moment and get it all sorted out - hopefully for pennies not pounds.

The Cally is a moldering pile of rust, just holding onto it for the early Cosworth version of the XE - I really should flick the rest on but getting someone to take everything (spare doors, panels, gearboxes, etc) isn't so easy. I may have to scrap everything after pulling the engine, but the WASTE!
Ditto with the Chevette, but picked up a pretty clean shell with HS kit a year or three back for reshell, but severely resticted in working space ( I REALLY hate paying others to do work I could do myself, usually (but not always, for which I AM happy to pay) rather better) - and finger pulling!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to love a HS, rallyspec i’d imagine? Somehow my XE started after days of meddling. Honestly, no clue what done it but managed to get a map of an original engine so she’s running nicer now. Just a couple more jobs now then she’ll be ready!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts