Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my clutch may be on its way out. the bite point on the pedal travel is extremely high, like right at the top. I dont know if its ever been changed before- probably not. Im not sure if its slipping, ive not really noticed it so I will try adjusting the cable for now.
Just want to know how hard chaging the clutch is? I know I remove the cover plate to get to it, but how is it removed then? and do i need any specail tools or anything to compress the clutch?

I am installing nitrous soon and going up the 1/4 mile at pv, so it may be worth just changing it anyway. i can get a vauxhall one on trade club.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Phil349 said:
I think my clutch may be on its way out. the bite point on the pedal travel is extremely high, like right at the top. I dont know if its ever been changed before- probably not. Im not sure if its slipping, ive not really noticed it so I will try adjusting the cable for now.
Probably a good start. If it's not slipping then there's a good chance that it's just missadjusted.

Phil349 said:
Just want to know how hard chaging the clutch is? I know I remove the cover plate to get to it, but how is it removed then? and do i need any specail tools or anything to compress the clutch?
Possibly. Depends on whether you've got an early type flywheel or a later one.

Phil349 said:
I am installing nitrous soon and going up the 1/4 mile at pv, so it may be worth just changing it anyway. i can get a vauxhall one on trade club.
Up to you and yes it should be on tradeclub (IIRC).

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
standard one will NOT handle a decent dose of nitrous, too much torque will make it slip.
get a "national sports clutch" for it mate, only about 100 quid if you shop around.

As to how easy it is, depends on if you have the thick or thin flywheel, on the thicker one you ahve to either pull the box off or, pull the contents out of the box

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
knackered clutch will show up in high gears, i.e crusing on the motorway at 60 ish in 5th, floor the pedal, engine revs spike up then slowly come down and then car accelerates.

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
0ddball said:
knackered clutch will show up in high gears, i.e crusing on the motorway at 60 ish in 5th, floor the pedal, engine revs spike up then slowly come down and then car accelerates.

Or carry on going up, and up and up, to the rev limit.

as it gets worse, it'll do it in lower and lower gears.

Mine was down to 1/2 throttle in 3rd when I replaced it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.