Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, since removing the old C20XE engine out of my Calibra, I now have a lot of rrom in the engine bay, which got me thinking/planning on how to fit the C20LET & F28.

So some questions......

1) clutch cable.
Do I need the C20LET clutch cable to replace the F20 one I have. Looking at EPC, they have differnt P/N. But EPC also quotes 2 types depending on year. Does anyone know what the differance is (I think its how the cable connects to the clutch pedla, ie hook termination)?

2) speedo cable
I've got the early mechnical Turbo clocks, so I take it I need to replace my old C20XE speedo cable for the early C20LET speedo cable?

3) driveshafts
SInce I will be running the F28 in 2WD, I won't have the TX box bolted on. Hence one of the C20LET drivshafts will no be too short. I take it I can use both my old F20 driveshafts on the F28 when its fitted in the Calibra?

4) rear engine mount/gear linkage
Noticed that the F20 mount is differnt to the F28. Does the F28 enigne mount and linkage bolt straight onto the Calibra chassis and discard the F20 equilvant?

5) downpipe
I'll be keeping my C20XE CAT (although I have heard Phase kits performa better without them), but anyhow, the C20LET downpipe has a triangular flange plate (3 hole) and my CAT end has an oval flange plate (2 hole). So is it a case of modifying the C20LET downpipe to fit the CAT?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a look at the clutch cable today, I think the difference in part number is to do with the end of the cable on how it connects to the pedal. The one I want is a hook type so I'll have to get the equilvant for the F28 clutch cable.

So thats number 1 sorted.

Anyone else know any answers for the others?
There must be some people who have fitted C20LET engines in their C20XE cars.

·
Registered
360 Posts
gearbox mount for f28 is on the sub frame and its a different, slightly, sub frame to the one that carries the f20. you can make it fit im sure. do you have the mounts for the f28, ie the original ones???? if not i might have the back one kicking about in the garage, pretty sure i do.

no2. as far as i know its just a speedo cable?? its the drive and clocks that are differet. maybe it screws on different though

drive shafts, wont be a problem. did ur calibra have the longer shaft in 2 bits by any chance?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> do you have the mounts for the f28, ie the original ones????

Yes I have all F20 and F28 engine mounts.
Just wanted to know what ones to use when fitting the F28 into the C20XE chassis.

> drive shafts, wont be a problem. did ur calibra have the
> longer shaft in 2 bits by any chance?

Yes my F20 offside drive shaft had a 'join' in the middle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
those f20 calibra shafts are quite clever sort of makes them equal length shafts, reduces tourque steer by quite a bit, i didnt notice any in the cav gsi turbo.

the actual sub frame is different on the turbo to the 2litre one. that has the metal bracket the f28 mount goes onto, would be easy to use the sub frame from the turbo

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
> the actual sub frame is different on the turbo to the 2litre one

It could be just for the 4x4 prop shaft to fit, but then again I've never looked at a C20LET H frame that closly to see what is different from my C20XE H frame.

I hope it all just bolts on, don't fancy any welding (becasue I can't weld and I have no power in my garage = towing the Calibra somewhere to get the work done = hassle and extra expense).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts