Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys its been a while.
iv had an unfinished project calibra turbo 4x4 sitting in my mums garage for the past 15 or so years and im thinking about having another go at it.
when the car was running it was completely stock i ran it for about a year before i killed the clutch then shortly after that was replaced the turbo started burning oil.
about 15 years ago a turbo/manifold swap became a full engine rebuild:rolleyes: i managed to get as far as finishing the bottom end then i dropped tools and left it on the engine stand and mothballed it.
what was done; removed casting lines from inside the block, paint striped and repainted in silver engine enamel paint and cured in a big oven, new bearings with ARP studs, H beam con rods with ARP bolts, new piston rings on the standard pistons (balanced), meyle water pump, new better oil pump (cant remember why its better), oil cooler and turbo oil return AN fittings, ARP flywheel bolts ready to go and stainless water bar and case to cam cover breather tube, one piece gasket/sump baffle. all that is left to do on the block is the oil pump pick up...
once i can get some transfer box locking rings and tidy up the engine bay im going to slap it back together.
any questions or suggestions?

edit; the engine has a coscast head and the oil pump is a gm z20let type

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I have not logged into Migweb since 2011 since I took my Cally T off-road for a rebuild, however, I became a father for the third time and life just simply took over with many surprises.

O boy do I miss my Cally, Ian do not give up my man, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys i hope you are all staying safe and well.
so i finally got this tig welder in the post a few weeks ago. it came with a wp26 tig torch (its massive) and arc welding leads. iv also got a 8l argon cylinder, a bunch of stainless filler rods,a pair of soft leather gloves, a argon flow meter/regulator, and a pack of blue lanthanated tungsten electrodes. the welding mask and mild steel filler rods didn't tune up (probably because of lockdown) and the regulator is the wrong size fitment to my 21.8x1/14 argon cylinder. so i need to find an adaptor for that or get another regulator, order some filler rod and another welding mask. i would like to eventually get a foot control pedal for it or build one.
once those come i can start practising and then get on with making an oil pickup pipe then eventually a t3 turbo manifold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great project !! Keep it up. I'm doing something similar now after having my calibra for 17 years and almost always garaged. Similar things happened here got married had kids and the calibra project was always on the back burner :).

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Ian, please keep us updated, I need the inspiration.

I had a good once over with the Cally the other day and almost cried due to the nostalgia and the fact that I was unable to open the bonnet!
I had a good look at the cylinder head and soon remembered the awful pitting around the waterways which has extended on to the face. I remember now, that was the point I gave up.

Looking forward to your updates.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Nice bit of hardware - something you may like to consider is one of the handpieces that has a thumb/finger voltage control on it. Pedal is great when you are in the open, but if you're doing cages or other work when you can't apply controlled force tothe pedal it can be very difficult.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts